Sign in to follow this  

pirelli scorpian tire wear

Anyone seen this type of wear before. see pics, every other center knobby set is worn/cupped. bad tire, or just normal for these tires? they are unrideable now. just about 3k miles.

DSCN0044.jpg

DSCN0045.jpg

DSCN0046.jpg

DSCN0047.jpg

Edited by jeffbaldwin5

Looks like your running it low on air on the street, thats the every other knob wear, the angled knobs are from braking, since it sees no acceleration to counter wear it it does that. If you want it to last stay off the front brake on the street unless you have to....

i am hard on the front brakes on-road. tire seemed hard... only had 16 lbs in it. Doh, Aired down for the desert, never aired back up. Why do I have at least 4 air gauges?

Thanks for the reality check.

What happens is the ones that are sticking up are the ones that are more easily pushed into the carcass, and they leave the other ones to take the load.

MT21s do this also.

I would say use the excellent MT18-HD, but pirelli stopped making it.

I would say use the excellent XCMH, but pirelli stopped making it.

***, pirelli?

Dave

I was very happy with the tires while they lasted. My bad, i coulda got some more miles out of them. Live and Learn, then you die.

Did everyone miss the part where he said the tires had 3000 miles on them?

You didn't specify what kind of bike it is or what kind of riding you do. I ride 90% dirt and 10% street with my 03 525. I'm lucky to get 1000 miles out of a tire (front or rear).

If I got 3000 miles out of a dirt bike tire, I'd be giggling like a little school girl.

Not trying to be a douche, just saying.

If I got 3000 miles out of a dirt bike tire, I'd be giggling like a little school girl.

QUOTE]

Uh, yeah I guess I did. If I get 500 miles out of a rear tire I'm happy. Usually two (2) rear tires = one (1) front tire.

You didn't specify what kind of bike it is or what kind of riding you do. I ride 90% dirt and 10% street with my 03 525. I'm lucky to get 1000 miles out of a tire (front or rear).

Not trying to be a douche, just saying.

I had a little over 3k on my Scorp Pro's on my XR650l before I sold it and they pretty much looked exactly like the ones in the OP when I sold the bike. I bought the same front for my KTM 300xcw and figure it should go longer due to it being primarily on soil with a lot less asphalt than the XR saw. We shall see.

What happens is the ones that are sticking up are the ones that are more easily pushed into the carcass, and they leave the other ones to take the load.

MT21s do this also.

I would say use the excellent MT18-HD, but pirelli stopped making it.

I would say use the excellent XCMH, but pirelli stopped making it.

***, pirelli?

Dave

Well I guess we should get them while they last:bonk: I have been running them for a couple of years. Maybe after they run out I will try the Kenda Parker-DT front. I like the back tire:thumbsup:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/14843/ITEM/Pirelli-XCMH-Dual-Sport-Front-Tire.aspx

Well I guess we should get them while they last:bonk: I have been running them for a couple of years. Maybe after they run out I will try the Kenda Parker-DT front. I like the back tire:thumbsup:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/14843/ITEM/Pirelli-XCMH-Dual-Sport-Front-Tire.aspx

They had been missing from pirelli's website for a while, that and it seemed there was not much stock.

They're back on the website, though. Did they always have the 140 rear?

Dave

I've had the rear come apart on the inside. All the cords come out of the rubber and damage the tube. I know of 2 other guy's seeing the same thing.

3,000 miles is way more than I ever get. I've seen a lot of tires like that at the shop and it tells you that is from pavement riding.

I've had the rear come apart on the inside. All the cords come out of the rubber and damage the tube. I know of 2 other guy's seeing the same thing.

Which rear tire did that?

Dave

That is my favorite most confidence-inspiring tire. Did 3 weeks in Baja in all sorts of conditions and speeds, and then rode its last leg for 2 days toolin' around the Idaho City 100 (pitting, not racing, ha). And then it just officially died. No more. Chunked, ripped.

That is my favorite most confidence-inspiring tire. Did 3 weeks in Baja in all sorts of conditions and speeds, and then rode its last leg for 2 days toolin' around the Idaho City 100 (pitting, not racing, ha). And then it just officially died. No more. Chunked, ripped.

The XCMH?

I do know from my ride this past weekend aired down low just right for the trail made it an unhappy tire on the road, lots of extra noise. A bit more air and it was much happier.

If mine self-destructs with a good bit of tread left I will *not* be a happy camper, and will choose something more reliable next time.

Dave