Talk to me about Helmet Cameras.

Drift HD170

pros: quality is better (i believe due to the way this camera reads light and adjusts as opposed to some of the other action cameras out there. check comparison videos on youtube and you'll see), battery lasts a good while and recharges fast, in 720p the camera takes way less space about >1mb per sec (so on a 8 gb card you could probably take about 22 hrs, i think i calculated that right), slight fish eye makes the video look awsome, adjustable video angle, all around i am very happy with the camera also great for that side angle on the helmet.

cons: can't use as a chest cam, i suppose an extra battery is needed if you will be recording alot.

I have Contour GPS.

http://contour.com/users/bvermilion

Pro's of Contour:

• Excellent form factor for side of helmet mounting.
  • Superior Image quality to GoPro.
  • Easy to use and be sure it is recording. Big switch, Loud beeps.

Con's of Contour:

• Lots of wind noise for speeds over 30 mph. Noticeable in the 20's at times as well.
  • Not as many mounting options as GoPro.

Pro's of GoPro:

• Good sound quality.
  • Many mounting options.
  • Tons of accessories.

Con's of GoPro:

• Little buttons and menus. Beeps not loud enough. GoPro's owners are always asking me if its recording.
  • Lens is much to wide angle. Distortion. Telephone polls look bent over at high speed.
  • Mounting on helmet leaves a much bigger target for a tree branch to grab.

There is a whole forum for video and pictures, but it's probably over loaded opinions on Helmetcams.

I've had a couple of the older Oregon 1k and 2k helmet cams. Don't bother.

The higher priced Orgeon cams might be OK

Helmetcam cheap, 17 $ cheap, very cheap

Not bad quality for $17, $15 SD chip. It's no gopro.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=904774

I'm leaning towards a GoPro HD, but I'd like to make a "chin mount".

This is the $17 camera mounted on the chin area.

It now has a velcro strap for easy removal.

HelmetCam-A.jpg?t=1304050518

----------------

Constant issues:

Is it turned on?

Is the camera aimed properly?

If you fail on either of these, you don't have a video or a poor video.

I have a nice video of my KTM's front fender.

----------------

A couple of sites with reviews.

(I didn't know the 960 was out.)

http://helmetcameracentral.com/

Pretty good reviews before.

http://www.helmetcamreview.com/

My experence with the GoPro-

For helmet I remove the visor and mount it on my forehead. This gives a more true eye level view and does not hit on trees as bad. I like this view better than chest mount. Chest mount is good too and much less hassle.

For the "is it on question" I have a cheap bycycle mirror on the handlebars that I can flip up to see the red light.

60 frames/sec is killer for fast action and the wide angle view gives and incredible "you are there" fealing in tight trees when objects are close.

It shoots great still images too and setting it to shoot a shot ever X seconds while you wear it can produce some unique shots.

Here's some of my work:

http://www.youtube.com/user/drkayak

i use the gopro hd. i mount it to the chin of my helmet. i feel that this is the best place to mount it since its less vulnerable to branches then the top or sides of the hemet. i use the gopro wrist strap to mount it. the wrist strap is sold as an extra accesory for about $30.

with the gopro hd you dont have to record in hd. you can use other settings such as 720 so you'll have smaller file sizes.

here is one of my videos with it mounted to my chin. i forget what setting this was, but it was not HD. the original video looks way better but after i converted it to AVI format and uploaded it to youtube it looks alot worse.

I actually tired of shooting video of everything with my GoPro very quickly. It distracts from enjoying the ride. I have not used mine in over a year.

Not to mention it looks dorky on top your helmet and I feel like a foreign tourist that has to take pictures of everything.

chesty is a nice way to go. becuase you can check to make sure it turned on, then ride. its easy to get to....and it wont get wacked on branches. but if you bought the led screen like i did. it wont fit unless you remove the led screen and the backing. kind of a pain in the ass. i even tried asking gopro is they had something like a extender...they told me to just use the hemlet mount...

chesty is a nice way to go. becuase you can check to make sure it turned on, then ride. its easy to get to....and it wont get wacked on branches. but if you bought the led screen like i did. it wont fit unless you remove the led screen and the backing. kind of a pain in the ass. i even tried asking gopro is they had something like a extender...they told me to just use the hemlet mount...

You can wear the LCD with the chesty. go to eye of mind and get the 12 dollar GoPro Helmet Front Mount. use the small section in addition to what you have and it brings it out enough. keep in mind though, when using the LCD, battery life is cut in half.

http://www.eyeofmine.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=111

... Thanks to White Crow (Jon) for leading me to that site. they ship fast.

Is there a big difference between the GoPro 960 model or the 1080p? Bust Buy has the

960s for $179 the 1080 is about $300

I been wanting one of these for a while, I dont need optimal resolution

Wayne

The difference are.... that the 960P model

1. doesn't have 1080P, which I rarely use in motocross. too zoomed in

2. doesn't have 720P 60 FPS, which is used for high quality slow motion

3. doesn't have the serial connection, used for LCD and extra battery

bottom line.. most motocross will be in either 960 or 720-30FPS anyways. but you do lose the option for upgrade to extra battery and LCD. if those aren't important. the 960 is def good.

I was recording primarly in 960P anyways. recently, I got on the 720P kick. good quality.......

The difference are.... that the 960P model

1. doesn't have 1080P, which I rarely use in motocross. too zoomed in

2. doesn't have 720P 60 FPS, which is used for high quality slow motion

3. doesn't have the serial connection, used for LCD and extra battery

bottom line.. most motocross will be in either 960 or 720-30FPS anyways. but you do lose the option for upgrade to extra battery and LCD. if those aren't important. the 960 is def good.

I was recording primarly in 960P anyways. recently, I got on the 720P kick. good quality.......

Thanks, I think that 960 will do for what I need

Here is some video I shot a few months ago, I dusted off an old

Sony digital tape camera, As you can see, the quality is horrible,

Depending on what setting and disk space on the windows editor,

it was a bit better, but not by much

This is a wash just outside my front gate, Enjoy