Sign in to follow this  

Honda 450 FI...good in COLD weather?

I want to buy a '11 CRF450 for ice racing. I was wondering if there is any reason the FI wouldnt work perfect in real cold weather.....like 10deg or colder.

Someone told me, "they're not like a car......they dont figure it all out for you"!

Do I search for a nice 06-08, or will the FI work flawlessly on the ice in the winter?

Thanks in advance!

they have a tempurature sensor and a altitude sensor so it will adjust to different temp's, also they dont have air flow sensors or oxygen sensors

Is it any different then todays cars? It just does all the fuel/air mixture for you......right?

Any coolder then 10 deg or so and I'm staying home.

Is it any different then todays cars? It just does all the fuel/air mixture for you......right?

Any coolder then 10 deg or so and I'm staying home.

i dont know how the FI works on bikes, however, if what is stated above is true (ie: no o2 sensor and no maf type device), then no, it is not like cars. the maf gauges how much air is coming in, fuel is delivered and burned, and then the o2 sensor basically checks that calculations were correct, sends the signal back and the ecu fine tunes.

i assume instead of a maf, they kind of cave man this thing and just use the TPS sensor and guess how much air is coming in based on throttle position? or do they also use a cam/crank sensor and compare throttle position and rpm to gauge incoming air?

bike efi is pretty basic still.

do carb'd bikes run bad when its really cold?

with my ss bike, the MC went bad, and then it was winter. so it sat from about october, until about april.

in that time i swapped tanks. so it was starting from a completely dry system.

i filled the tank, and hit the button. it was running, and running smooth. i'll choose FI everytime.

i dont know how the FI works on bikes, however, if what is stated above is true (ie: no o2 sensor and no maf type device), then no, it is not like cars. the maf gauges how much air is coming in, fuel is delivered and burned, and then the o2 sensor basically checks that calculations were correct, sends the signal back and the ecu fine tunes.

i assume instead of a maf, they kind of cave man this thing and just use the TPS sensor and guess how much air is coming in based on throttle position? or do they also use a cam/crank sensor and compare throttle position and rpm to gauge incoming air?

The bikes have a full EFI map based on throttle position, air intake temp, engine coolant temp and RPM. They use a MAP sensor to measure manifold vacuum, and use that to calculate engine load.

The bikes have a full EFI map based on throttle position, air intake temp, engine coolant temp and RPM. They use a MAP sensor to measure manifold vacuum, and use that to calculate engine load.

hmm, sounds pretty sophisticated to me. people were making it sound like it was something you could barely even call efi. essentially the only thing its missing is an 02 sensor.