TE or TXC

I'll be looking to buy a new bike in the next year or so, I'm really leaning towards a Husky 449/450, currently riding an XR 400 and saving for a 2011 or 2012.

Can't decide which would be a better ride for me, I ride trails in WA (tight woods, mountains, desert, everything), and have no interest riding on the road so the possibility of being street legal wont affect my decision. I imagine if I buy a TE I'll strip off all the dual sport stuff, and if I buy a TXC I'll gear it down and soften it up.

I've never rode a Husky, so bring on the opinions, I'm all open. Thanks!

Why a Husqvarna?

From what I've heard and read they are a very tough and reliable bike, they come factory with high quality parts and seem to be an all around sweet bike.

And every where I look I see orange, and I want something a little different. But I still have never ridden one, so before I buy one (if I do) I'll have to find a way to trail test one.

If you really are only interested in the off-road use I see no reason you wouldn't go with the TXC. It should come with a race muffler that's setting the TE guys a big chunk of cash to buy. A few lbs lighter as well. Resale on the TE will ostensibly be better since it's street legal, but that may be mitigated by a potential house bill allowing limited plates (but probably not eliminated.)

Yes I was the same. I wanted something that none of my mates had.

I bought a pre owned 2009 TE510 in January this year. When I got it home, I took it for a 15 minute ride and was like WOW. Ive previously owned a 07 KLX250 & an 09 KLX250, so coming off them onto just about anything is like WOW! Ive ridden heaps of 450's but a 510 has just that little more pull from the bottom and the extra bit up the top.

Honestly I don’t think Huskys are any more reliable then anything else. They can be hard to get parts for because they are a niche bike. But in saying that, they are getting better. Yeah they have got some joy parts on them, specially the 2011 models. But I don’t think they are as nice on the eye as the 08, 09 & 2010 models. They are naturally high revving bikes so oil change intervals should be a couple hours less or a couple 100kms less then some of the others. (My personal opinion). Ive also had my re-mapped to more of a MX style EFI. If I was you ild stick with TE because the headlight and tail lights come in handy. But maybe see if you can get an aftermarket LED rear tail light. They look killer. But it’s up to you in the end. Whatever you choose you will be happy I think. I know I am :thumbsup:

The TXC is actually a bit cheaper than the TE. If you're just stripping the stuff off, go with the TXC. Particularly if you don't intend to ride on the street (legally).

My son just picked up a TXC, and he was going back and forth between the TC and TXC. For California, the green sticker is super important, favoring the TXC. Plus, a spark arrestor, a sixth gear, and a side stand.

If I was you ild stick with TE because the headlight and tail lights come in handy. But maybe see if you can get an aftermarket LED rear tail light.

The 2010 and 2011 TE510/511 have an LED taillight.

The 2010 and 2011 TE510/511 have an LED taillight.

Yeah your right. I was mostly refering to my own model :thumbsup:

I thought about the headlight.....but I'd guess that a headlight assembly won't be more than the 700 buck difference in MSRP between the TE and TXC.

I have a TE511 and just love the bike. The TXC449 would be an awesome mount for the PNW. So much so I am selling some other bikes to ass a TXC449 to my stable. Where in WA are you. I would not be apposed to letting you try mine. I am in Vancouver WA area but Jeff at Taskys has a demo TE449 as well. These are fantastic di it all bikes. I was all in 2st mode before i got my TE511 now I don;t even look at them (sad) as I don't want to ride anything else, even in the tight stuff.

Highly recommended.

I have a TE511 and just love the bike. The TXC449 would be an awesome mount for the PNW. So much so I am selling some other bikes to ass a TXC449 to my stable. Where in WA are you. I would not be apposed to letting you try mine. I am in Vancouver WA area but Jeff at Taskys has a demo TE449 as well. These are fantastic di it all bikes. I was all in 2st mode before i got my TE511 now I don;t even look at them (sad) as I don't want to ride anything else, even in the tight stuff.

Highly recommended.

I'm in Redmond, and have been doing a lot of riding at Walker Valley lately. I tried going to Tasky's on a Saturday to look at them but didnt know they close at 2:00:cry: Where are your stomping grounds, maybe I could see you on the trail somewhere. I'll definently look into the TE449 demo bike.

My only extra wants for the TXC would be the headlight, and does anyone know if they come with a spark arrestor? I cant find that anywhere.

My only extra wants for the TXC would be the headlight, and does anyone know if they come with a spark arrestor? I cant find that anywhere.

They do. Come with two exhausts actually, the TE big quiet muffler (which is SA) and the race muffler which I believe is also SA.

- I ride all over the place but don't make it up to walker as there is about 200 great trails between here and there :thumbsup:

K

They do. Come with two exhausts actually, the TE big quiet muffler (which is SA) and the race muffler which I believe is also SA.

- I ride all over the place but don't make it up to walker as there is about 200 great trails between here and there :thumbsup:

K

Well thats awesome! Two tail pipes!

Yea, you guys are spoiled down there, maybe I'll run into you at GP this summer, never been there, but definently going there this season.

TE = softer forks and innitial settings along with easier forks to tune/service, etc by the normal shade tree mechanic.

TXC = stiffer forks with a lot more tuneability but at the cost of usually sending them off to a reputable tuner.

TE gets one muffler, TXC gets a fancy Akra race muffler to go with it. Both have sidestands now as previously the TXC did not. Otherwise same frame, ergos and engine performance along with gearing.

TE gets a 6 month warranty

TXC 30 day warranty on parts only, no labor.

Thanks BMWAtlanta,

Would you say the TXC suspension is set up at MX stiffness? or somewhere in the middle?

Thanks BMWAtlanta,

Would you say the TXC suspension is set up at MX stiffness? or somewhere in the middle?

The TXC suspension/tuning has been identical to the TC/MX Marzocchi equipped Husky's prior and I'm certain is still that way with the current Kayaba forks now.

The TXC suspension/tuning has been identical to the TC/MX Marzocchi equipped Husky's prior and I'm certain is still that way with the current Kayaba forks now.

Well Now I can't make up my mind, very good info. I might end up spending way more $$ tuning the suspension and adding lights than if I were to start off the TE and unbolt the DS parts.

I'm off to go fishing for the weekend now:banana:, so I can dream of Husky's while on the water. I might even make up my mind, but I doubt it.

Thanks for all the advice!

Interesting thread... I'm in New Jersey where street legal dirt bikes are the only way to go.

I'm in the same situation, I want a Dirt Bike that is legal enough to ride in state forest, but light and flickable like a cross county race bike.

The debate I'm having is do I go with a TE and take off just enough road stuff to keep it legal...

Or do I buy a TXC and add the street legal stuff.

Decisions... decisions.

Full disclosure....I have never ridden the new 449/511 in any trim, and from what I hear they're good in the twisties.

BUT

I do ride Walker Valley as my main trail squeeze. Seems a 450 is a bit of overkill there no? Tasky's has some leftover 2010's for about 3000 cheaper that may be better for the job anyway. A 2010 TE/TXC 250 with a few, cheap by comparison, modifications would be a better tool for Walker Valley IMO.

Good luck whatever you get.:thumbsup:

I got a chance today to ride Taskys demo TE 449 and could not believe how little the weight mattered ( I couldn't feel it ). The big thing for me was how well it tracked and hooked up. It was also super smooth in the engine department. I would have no problem riding any of the trails at walker valley on it. The bike did not wear me out like my 510 does. Thanks Jeff for the opportunity !!!! I need one now.