Sign in to follow this  

Aluminum Frame/Subframe on a 96 KX250

I have a 96 kx250 and i want to put an aluminum frame on it to make it a little lighter. Thoughts? What about the plastics? Any and all details will be greatly appreciated.:thumbsup:

You can't just "put on" an aluminum frame, the frame is the main part of the bike and since there was never an aluminum framed KX250 built, you won't find one that is a direct swap. You could modify one of the newer aluminum framed four strokes to fit your engine in, but it won't be a drop in deal. It would be a lot of custom work and really won't drop much weight off in the grand scheme of things.

yeah... put on was a bad choice of words...... i realize that the frame is the bike.....or at least without the frame the bike is nothing. So the frame wasnt changed much in weight huh? I figured that since they made the aluminum frame that it would be lighter.... but if i have to put alot of money int the frmae to make one work for it i might as well just save up and get one..... maybe from craigslist or something....:thumbsup:

i definately never said i was sure..... i asked my dealer today and he confirmed that it wouldnt be worth the hassle to do it... so im just gonna have it powdercoated instead.

i definately never said i was sure..... i asked my dealer today and he confirmed that it wouldnt be worth the hassle to do it... so im just gonna have it powdercoated instead.

Powdercoating = heavy....