200 2t vs 250 4t

Looking for something not to snappy. Something I can ride fast or slow.

5'10 190 lbs but not fat. My right leg is a little weak still from a nasty wreck in september but works fine. Rode 80% track and 20% trail for 2 years on rm250 so Im good with the clutch. Will probably stick to the woods but I still want a suspension that can handle at least a small table.

Looking for something with less snap. I like pretty much all of the modern 4ts and the idea of roll on power and really like the 200 2t bikes but I fear it will still be to snappy. I want to spend around 2000-2500. Love working on and fixing bikes. Maintenance is not an issue. Looking 04 and up. Lighter the better. I need something that has room for error.

200 2t vs 250 4t. which has more snap?

Edited by snoboarder11592

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a long time J bike rider until purchasing a KTM 250 SX new in 09. I would suggest that you look for a KTM 250/300 for the simple reason of the incredible adjustability of the motor response. With a simple swap of PV springs (about 2-3 minutes, even trackside) and preload adjustment (seconds), you can alter the motor from full-bore two stroke hit like you had with your RM, to a tame powerband with no hit at all. Even 2 years after buying this bike, I'm still impressed at how quickly I can adjust the motor to the prevailing conditions.

A 250 will give you all the excitement you ever need, plus it is so versatile that you can use it for anything. Right now my 250 SX is used for HS racing and trail riding exclusively. I usually set the motor for a mild powerband, and lately I've been running trials tire. I'm really familiar with the RMs (still own an 04 RM 125), and you will find that the KTM can be set up to ride and turn very similarly.

The only reason that I would suggest the 250/300 over 200 is the extra lowend power, and this helps if you like to short shift and cruise on occasion. The larger motor is also more forgiving when racing. You can often make it over or through an unseen obstacle even if you are in the "wrong" gear.

Appreciate the post so far. I need something tame though and I am not buying another 250 2t. Its just too much and I am not a skilled enough rider. I have a healthy fear right now of fast 2 strokes and mx tracks. My riding will change to mostly woods when I start to ride again and I do not ever plan on racing.

Now compare a 200 xcw vs a kdx 220? Like I said I am a little apprehensive going 2t again but they really are the cheaper more reliable route. How would a beginner handle on either of these bikes? Would a thumper be more forgiving? How much difference is a heavy flywheel going to make on the 2t?

I just don't feel like looping out like I always did on my old 250. The hit always put me on my ass. I know this comes down to practice but something forgiving would help

BTW my buddy has a 01 250 sx and he rips through the woods on that thing but once again I think it is simply to much hit for me.

The KDX is a good bike for what you're looking for, but the 1 you want is the 200 unless the 220 you find has been upgraded. For some reason, the 220 came a bit restricted and was slower than the 200 stock. A riding buddy switched from a YZ250 to a KDX200 and is way happier on that. He's a trail rider exclusively, didn't need or want the big hit for track use.

The KTM 200 is an awesome bike (way better than the KDX for an aggressive/experienced rider) and not nearly as snappy as an RM250, but you might find it to still be too snappy for you.

The KDX is a good bike for what you're looking for, but the 1 you want is the 200 unless the 220 you find has been upgraded. For some reason, the 220 came a bit restricted and was slower than the 200 stock. A riding buddy switched from a YZ250 to a KDX200 and is way happier on that. He's a trail rider exclusively, didn't need or want the big hit for track use.

The KTM 200 is an awesome bike (way better than the KDX for an aggressive/experienced rider) and not nearly as snappy as an RM250, but you might find it to still be too snappy for you.

If your already use to riding go with the 200 2t you won't regret it. I got a 144 and I'm finding myself always wanting more power. It's a snappy bike, but it just doesn't have the power I want. The worst part is that as soon as I got my bike my uncle told me that this guy had a ktm 200 2t that he was selling. It sucks but its life.

The 200s (KTM i assume you are talking about) are nice bikes. If you are concerned about it being too snappy then throw a heavier flywheel on it and call it a day. A 200 smoker will walk away from a 250 thumper all day long.

My brother has a 200 and it is very snappy. Not as snappy as a 250 with or without a heavier flywheel. I have a TE250 4t and his 200 will not walk away from. We are about equal and I have 15lbs on him. 200's are great bikes but still a 2t with a 2t punch.

If you are looking into racing at all or racing type of riding then trail 4t are out. KDX, KLX, TTR CRF-F's are great bikes but suspension and quicker reving motor they are not. If you are looking for smooth trail type of power, durable, gas and go then yes get one.

KTM150 are great bikes but the smaller 2t motor needs to be ridden correctly. Shifting and "on the pipe" needs to be followed otherwise the motor is a bit lame.

Nothing lays down the traction better, able to ride hard or easy, fast or slow than a modern 250 4t enduro versions. Very planted and smooth trail or race friendly. Bikes like CRF250x, TXC250, 250EXC. Look for a mx 4t with a light, you do give up power and many don't like the lacking bottom end but are you looking for that??

Once again helpful post guys.

I like the 4t bikes but the cost is so much higher. All the 4t listed are difficult to find at a good price. I would rather buy a newer, nicer 2t than be forced to buy an older 4t for the same price. Not to mention rebuilding a 2t takes about $200 and 2 hours versus a 4t which I have never taken apart. I would love to rip into a 4t out of curiosity but the cost may be to much for 19 year old serving tables.

The rm250 I rode was a 91 that I had rebuilt with new reeds pipe and piston. I heard that the older 2 strokes power band was a bit more unforgiving. Has modern technology smoothed out the hit at all? Also had problems with it loading up when I rode slow. It would get choked up unless I rode the piss out of it. Obviously jetting may have been partially to blame but am I gonna have that problem with a properly jetted 200 xcw or kdx? I want to ride slow if I want without fouling plugs or splooge getting everywhere.

How would the KTM and the KDX suspension handle small tables? Which would handle it better? Probably wont be jumping anytime soon but when I get my confidence back I may want to a little.

Keeping in mine weight I have ruled out a lot of the 4t trail bikes. How does the kdx and ktm compare in weight and handling?

To be honest I am thinking 200 xcw might be for me. Mostly because I think KTM seems to focus on putting out woods bikes vs mx bikes unlike the Jap brands. Also I like how KTM keeps cranking out 2t when others have stopped. I like the build of the KTM and I don't need a light on my bike.

So the exc, xcw, and xc are all the same just different years. Im thinking an 06 xcw could be had for 2000. Correct me if I am wrong.

Any experiences with these bikes would be helpful.

Thanks

Edited by snoboarder11592

I own a KDX220 and I think they are very good trail bikes. Relaible, low maintenace, and reasonably priced. With that being said, I wouldnt want to do really high jumps on the bike...its a true trail bike, not a MXer. I have ridden the 250/300 EXCs. The 300 would be too much. I think you are on the right track with the 200 EXC...the 250 EXC might work for you...the suspension is superior to the KDX. However, you might have a tough time finding a clean 2006 KTM EXC for $2K. I paid that for my 2002 KDX, but it is super clean. For $2K, you would have to buy a 2000-2003 KTM. Raise your budget to about $2500 and you might be able to get into a 2004-2006 KTM.

You shouldn't have to worry about a modern 2-stroke loading up. Your old RM had an MX specific round slide carb that didn't have a good idle circuit. Not sure what the Kawi has, but the KTM comes with a modern flat slide carb (Keihin PWK) that is much better in part throttle, off the pipe situations.

If you plan on doing some jumping and light MXing in the future, the KTM will be the better choice. The KDX suspension is a little outdated and is really trail specific.

KTM changed the naming from '05 to '06. '05 and prior EXC are the equivalent of the '06 and newer XC-W, they have the softest, most trail compliant suspension. The XC is a harder edged off-road bike designed for high speed off-road racing like GNCC and WORCS. Either one has high quality suspension, it's just a matter of the tuning/valving.

$2000 for an '06 sounds OK, clean versions will still probably pull a little more, but no more than $2500. Try to find and '06 or '07 if you can, the chassis is a little better than the '05 and older. The '08 got another update and they are awesome, but they'll be outta your price range.

I went from an 06 KTM 450 EXC to an 04 KTM 200 EXC, purely because the 450 was too much weight for me in the woods. I loved the power of it, but hated the weight.

The 200 is very adjustable. Between jetting and the power valve, you can make it pretty tame or wake it up and have more of a top end bike.

basically if you want more snap it is always going to be the two stroke, if you dont want it, you get the 4 stroke. i think if you are going to do any track you should get a 250 4 stroke. the 2 smoke that you are referring to is either the kdx 200 or the ktm 200 which are both trail bikes and will not do very good on the track. for me i will always have an mx bike because i think that it is better in the woods or on trails then a woods or trails bike is on the track. a 250 4 stroke mx bike is going to give you the best possible of both worlds. if they had a 200 2 stroke mx bike then it would be an harder decision but you will probably want a mx 250 4 stroke right now. and if someone has made a 200 2 stroke mx bike it is fairly new and you will not find one in your price range

660R, the KDX has the PWK carb also. Its a 35mm on the 220 and a 37mm on the 200, as the 220 was designed for lower end torque and less over rev.

Personally, I think it depends on the mix of track and trail you are riding. If one is riding 80% track, 20% trail, it makes alot of sense to buy a MX bike. If it was 50/50, I would go with a good trail bike, such as a KTM 250/300 XC/EXC over any MX bike...but Im a trail rider.

I've owed kdx, exc, sx, yz, yzf, now kxf. Hands down the bike you are describing is kdx200. I could double anything on it that I can on my kx250f. Only upgrades were FRP springs front and rear and fmf fatty with turbine core III. The exc's hit almost like 2t mxers.

the ktm 200 which are both trail bikes and will not do very good on the track.

The KTM, especially the XC version is far from a trail bike like a KDX. It is an off-road race bike. If you spend any time reading the dirtbike mags, you'll see that the KTM XC lineup is probably the most versatile bike out there, pretty good on an MX track as well as faster, more aggressive off-road duty. The nice thing about the KTM lineup is they use the same basic components across the line and adjust the tuning to suit the target terrain/buyer. The XC even shares the same closed chamber forks as the SX 150/250, just with different valving and spring rates.

For the OP, the XC-W would be the better choice since his track time will be very limited. Why buy an MX bike for the 10% of the time you ride that?

Also, KTM did in fact make an SX version of he 200, back in '03-'04 or so. Again, still not the right bike for the OP. He's coming off an MX bike and didn't like it, why push him back in that direction. Doesn't matter that it was a 250 2-stroke. He's not planning on riding any MX in the near future.

Well an 06 or 07 200 XCW seems like my favorite choice so far. The 2t is cheaper and easier. I like the KDX but the KTM sounds like a better suspension. I will have to start haunting craigslist

My goal is to be riding by june a the latest. Still need to buy gear... again

Thanks for the input