01 DRZ "S" with a "E" Head gasket (Carb help)

Hey I did read the sticky about carbs and seem to still be having issues.... I own a 01 DRZ that I put the "E" Base gasket on to increase the compression. I have a very bad stumble is im going anything under 24mph and snap to full throttle, this lasts for About a second and then it does fine. I purchased a dynojet kit for it to try and cure this issue and still no luck, Does anyone have any insight to what I should try? I did try removing the airbox cover and then plugging and couldnt see a huge difference either way.... Any help is appreciated greatly..... I broke the holder for the plug that holds the needle in place today too sso I can complie responces and try when the $55 part shows up...

Edited by Kipthewolf

So what's your bike setup???....pipe, engine mods, riding altitude, current carb settings.

The set up I currently have goingI have no modifications on the bike currently except the cylinder base gasket for the DRZ400E, my current riding altitude is 5280ft and the carb settings are as follows on a mikuni cv. Pilot jet is a 17.5 the air jet is a 62.5 the main jet is a 120 currently have tried a 120-135:banghead: the needle has the clip on the 3rd from the bottom up out of 6 to use.

Pilot jet is a 17.5 the air jet is a 62.5 the main jet is a 120 currently have tried a 120-135 the needle has the clip on the 3rd from the bottom up out of 6 to use.

pilot jet needs to be the stock 22.5 pilot jet.

fuel screw 2.75 turns.

put the stock needle back in.

150 main jet.

62.5 is the starter jet. only works when the choke is one.

17.5 pilot jet is 2 size to lean.

120 main jet is good for 20,000 ft or so.

fuel screw 2.75 turns.

150 main jet.

I will try this setup as soon as I get the new slide for my carb. The reason I went down in the pilot jet is it was flooding its self as it idled, I couldn't get it to restart unless I drained the carb when it stalled after 1-2 minutes of idle. Will give it a shot, I'm carb retarded, I can't make them work to save my life lol

?

• 2 weeks later...

fuel screw 2.75 turns.

150 main jet.

Hey I did everything to the tee on what you told me, I got rid of the stumble! But the bike wont idle now... what do you suggest?

? Also I rechecked everything that envolved timing, all is good...

vacuum line connected to the petcock?

It was, I checked timing again because I herd a funny noise and it looks like my auto chain tensioner took a dump on me, thankfully I had purchaed the manual one for when this decided to show up. The cams were way off from where they should of been, I reset the timing and all is runnig well so far thank you for your help, are you a colorado resident and if so can I buy you a beer for your time man it was very awesome of you to help me out.

• 2 weeks later...
vacuum line connected to the petcock?

So I was out of town for the last week and gave it a break because I'm getting frustrated. After my vacation I came back to a dead battery, charged it and lit the bike off. It refused to idle with the choke on, and it wouldn't do it with the choke off either, it will run but only with a little throttle. If you let off the throttle it will idle for about 5 seconds then die. The bike will not restart unless you are at completely open throttle, and even then there are times it won't restart. When this happens I have to drain the carb, turn it over a few times and then refill the carb, then it fires right off then repeats again. The settings are right where you said to put them, what are your thoughts?

water contaminated fuel?

its not a jetting issue.

Okay so not a jetting issue, ill replace the gas what grade would you suggest using? And do you think that the carb floats could be at the wrong level causing the carb to flood out? And one other thing that passed my mind was what if the needle and seat were leaking? it was draining out the of the carb from the black tube on the side, I smacked it lightly with a plastic hammer and it stopped, do you think that could cause it if it seals intermittently?

leaking float valve can cause running issues and contaminate your oil. any pump gasoline is fine.

I'm thinking float valve then, because the oil smells extremely strong of gas, ill get rid of the oil and replace the float valve. Thank you again mr. Sisneros.