Sign in to follow this  

06 YZ KYB Forks are 09 better or the same?

On the last service i noticed the inner damper rod on my 06 YZ forks has lost some of the gold plating along the shaft, would this affect performance massively? I have the opportunity to buy some 09 forks for a reasonable price, is there a difference between the to and what would you do? leave it? repair them? or buy the 09's? :thumbsup:

have a feeling some of the yzf/yz forks are different lengths so check that,some have a bleed stack in the base valve and some dont,but they are basically the same.

Hey man, the forks are the same length, no changes there, and i have heard the 09' units might not even need a triple clamp swap to bolt on to the 06' smoker, but definitely research that don't take my word on it, they might be 1 or 2mm wider or something? it's been awhile but at one point i was gonna swap the 09's on my 05' 250 but opted for the 06's. the only difference between any yz/yzf suspensions in the same year is how they are valved, the 450's will be heavier due to being a heavier bike. either way keep it smokin man and keep us posted if you do swap 09's I'm curious to hear how much of an improvement it will make.

they changed the caliper spacing so you need the front brake assembly as well.

Thanks for the replies guys, i believe the forks should swap straight over, they did change the calliper for them so thats something i would have to look at, i know stimps has 09's on his 05. What do you guys think about my inner damper ware? would this affect the performance much? and do you think its worth replacing? Obviously the cheaper option would be better for me!, maybe i could just switch the internals over between 09-06 if it were cheaper to buy the 09's than a new damper rod setup.

I went with 08 forks on my yz 250. You do lose some weight, but internally, it sure looks the same. And dont forget to get the 09 axle and right side wheel spacer. Those changed as well. Shorter and lighter than the earlier pieces.

i have an 09 yzf450 with push button bleeders.they always too much pressure and spit out about 6-8 litl drops of oil.does anybody know what the problem is?

i have an 09 yzf450 with push button bleeders.they always too much pressure and spit out about 6-8 litl drops of oil.does anybody know what the problem is?

Yeah, get rid of the bleeders. Drilling the free piston will allow the oil that gets caught in it to seep back in to the outer chamber.

Yeah, get rid of the bleeders. Drilling the free piston will allow the oil that gets caught in it to seep back in to the outer chamber.

I would love to see a picture a drilled free piston. I don't know what it looks like or where to drill the holes.

I would love to see a picture a drilled free piston. I don't know what it looks like or where to drill the holes.

Here ya go..

freepistonmod.jpg

Is the free piston / pressure spring supposed to slide around on the rod or should the pressure spring hold the piston firmly in place?