It's about time for my first top end.

My choices as to what available here are

Wiseco (hi comp)

JE (hi comp)

Vertex (hi comp)

wossner

pro-x

genuine.

Run a couple of hi comp wisecos in my old 07 with no probs, but just wondered what u guys thought?

Before I went with the Cylinder Works big bore kit......I ran Wiseco pistons and never had any problems at all.....This Cylinder Works kit came with a Vertex piston...This is the first time I have used a Vertex piston........so far so good.......

vertex is holding up good for me. put rings on it at 25 hours still looked brand new

CP pistons are probably the best but they also run a tad high on the price spectrum.

i had a cp failure in 2008, the wrist pin got sloppy and forced it way out. turned engine off right away so damage was limited to just the cylinder cp gave me a new piston after i send them the old one.

Cp???

i had a cp failure in 2008, the wrist pin got sloppy and forced it way out. turned engine off right away so damage was limited to just the cylinder cp gave me a new piston after i send them the old one.

Just like with any other manufacture of parts for highperformance products they will undoubetly have a product with a failure.. it's impossible to allways have a perfect line of products.. Your piston was probably 1 of a few that had problems and the rest probably 100,000+ that did not have a problem..

heard good things about the JE pistons too

I got a wossner in my 09 never had any problems, I wouldn't mind trying the pro circuit next but can't see there being much of a differnce apart from the price !!!

i used a wossner piston for 50 hours on my 07 no problems changed it at 50 h and still looked new

I've got 64 hours on my 09. What all needs to be replaced? If anything.

piston, rings, cam chain, cylinder de-glazed

Guess I won't be riding this weekend. Thanks for the info.

That's rediculous. Don't not ride this weekend. You can go longer on that piston. I think you should change it soon, but it's not something that has to be done this second. I know people that have gone twice as long on the OEM piston and been totally fine when it came time to change it.

^^ that is encouraging to hear. I have 61.8 on my 2007 and have been wondering when I might want to freshen up the piston and what not. I think I will put at most 20 more hours on the engine this summer/fall. I will think about piston/rings this winter then...

Valves haven't moved since I purchased it, and she runs like a champ.

Thanks for the info.

I had a Wossner in my sons KX85 5Hrs later it needed a new cylinder,, piston and ring. The pin that located the ring was not far enough down into the ring land and eventually the ends of the ring that sat over it broke off.Pr1malR8gw is right when he says manufactures cant get it right every time but i think a good company shows when they acknowledge a problem. And wossner is not one of them. I have sent photos and Emails and have gotten no reply and am currently taking the supplier to court over it. So i only run genuine now

Thank you for stopping me. It seemed strange to me that my 05 rm450z has at least 80+ hours on it and is still running like a champ. Though I'm sure it is due for a top end soon. At 64.1 hours I don't feel any power loss on my kxf250.

60 hours is just a safe time to do it, you can, and many have, get many more hours out of your piston, especially if its a forged piston

It is a stocker. But I don't think I ride hard enough to warrent one just yet. I'll have a compression test done on it and decide from there.