Sign in to follow this  

xr 70 need help!

Just baught a 99 xr 70 and noticed the sparkplug hole threads are stripped. can this be hili coiled or should I get another head . I found this kit on ebay, I know its cheapo but this bike is only for my wife to get around the pits in. Will it hold up? Also It came with the wrong carb . does anyone know what size carb comes stock? Thanks everyonehttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400180865765&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT !

You can Helicoil spark plug holes and yes they will hold up just fine if done correctly. I have done a few myself. Helicoils in aluminum are a pretty common thing. A lot of high performance automotive parts come with all the threaded holes with helicoils already in them. So as long as you know what you are doing, and the kit you get is of good quality (not sure exactly what kits you have looked at) you should be fine.

You can Helicoil spark plug holes and yes they will hold up just fine if done correctly. I have done a few myself. Helicoils in aluminum are a pretty common thing. A lot of high performance automotive parts come with all the threaded holes with helicoils already in them. So as long as you know what you are doing, and the kit you get is of good quality (not sure exactly what kits you have looked at) you should be fine.

+1

Also if you do decide to helicoil it, I'd go ahead and pull the head, to avoid any shavings in the motor. The head is sooo easy to get off, a head gasket should only run $10-$20