Sprocket and cruising speeds

So, the traffic in Stockholm is all jammed up thesedays, and a bike would take me to work fast...

After looking around for a good commuter, i have concluded that unless i get a KTM 950SE or BMW HP2 i will simply not be happy. And getting one of thoose bikes will make my wallet unhappy.

So why not use the CRF450X on thoose day when meetings/traffic/weather all comes down to the possibility to go by bike.

However, i suspect that the 13/51 original sprockets will make it to nervous on the road.

So, i would like to easily change the front sprocket, without having to touch the rear sprocket, nor change the chain.

Hence my question:

1. Is it possible to fit a 16t sprocket in front?

2. Anyone tried the top speed with 15t or 16t front and 51 back?

3. Would a 15t or 16t fit without touching the chain length?

4. Is 100km/h (60mph) reasonable crusing speed with 15/51?

Oh, and I have only 16km (1mile) to work, so we are not talking about any big commuting here...

Thanks guys

15/48 - 6200RPM @ 100km/h ---150-160 top speed with good jetting.

No need for a new chain with this setup.

This should be close to 16/51

15/51---16/51, I'm thinking you'll need a longer chain.

16 tooth? Do they even make one?

Edited by Bond66
Didn't read right
So, the traffic in Stockholm is all jammed up thesedays, and a bike would take me to work fast...

After looking around for a good commuter, i have concluded that unless i get a KTM 950SE or BMW HP2 i will simply not be happy. And getting one of thoose bikes will make my wallet unhappy.

So why not use the CRF450X on thoose day when meetings/traffic/weather all comes down to the possibility to go by bike.

However, i suspect that the 13/51 original sprockets will make it to nervous on the road.

So, i would like to easily change the front sprocket, without having to touch the rear sprocket, nor change the chain.

Hence my question:

1. Is it possible to fit a 16t sprocket in front?

2. Anyone tried the top speed with 15t or 16t front and 51 back?

3. Would a 15t or 16t fit without touching the chain length?

4. Is 100km/h (60mph) reasonable crusing speed with 15/51?

Oh, and I have only 16km (1mile) to work, so we are not talking about any big commuting here...

Thanks guys

13/51@60 won't last long.

I run 13/45 @ 55mph and 5500ish RPM's:thumbsup:

Don't know my RPM but I'm running 14/51 and at 55 its a decent cruise RPM. 14/48 would be a bit better but would be real hard on the clutch in the tech. stuff. You can squeeze a 15 on the front with some mods to the case protector.

Yeah, I don't see a 16t fitting on there at all. Like Nayther said, you have to mod it to fit a 15t.

I run 15/44 (with 17" wheels) and I can cruise at 60-70MPH no problem. So do the math with the wheel size conversion :thumbsup: