Sign in to follow this  

The DR has a cousin in the stable!!

So I sold my BMW R1150RT, it was just not me. I got sick of trying to find a cloth that was clean and soft enough to touch it. Great bike but I had trouble relating to the complexity of it. So I bought a 2005 vstrom DL 650 with 21K on it. When I started figuring out how much farkling it had I had to make a list so I could decide what to keep and what to take off. The PO was a vstrom forum addict and did a great job of documenting everything. The cost of the farkles easily exceeds the bikes value and makes a good run at the cost when new:

SW motech skid plate

SW motech crash bars

SW motech rack system

SW motech center stand

SW motech handle bar cross brace

SW motech mirror up and outs

KB fork brace

Wilber shock spring

Sonic fork springs

Kevin Baker lowering links

Givi E360 side cases

Givi E360 top case with brake light

LED turn, brake and license plate clusters with trick flasher/controller

Clear turn signal lenses F & R

Pyramid inner rear fender/chain guard

Pyramid fenda extenda

California science windshield

Madstad W/S bracket

Sargent saddle

Back rest setup (driver)

Suzuki heated grips with controller

Suzuki handguards (DL 1000)

Motolights fork mount lights

Acumen gear indicator

Rosta electronic cruise control

Air pressure warning caps

Carbon fiber protectors (frame + triple clamp)

Buell footpegs

GSXR 600 brake calipers

Galfer S/S brake lines with bleeder at front lever

Suzuki tank pad

Highway pegs

Sewer pipe tool box

2 Powerlet 12V outlets 1 BMW 1 cig

Rox Bar backs

Aux instrument panel with voltage, air temp and clock

Ram GPS mount

Swing arm spindles for shop stand

Upgraded horns (2) FIAMM

Ventura light guard

After market mirrors (emgo?)

Spares Skid plate

Stock saddle? Either stock one that was worked on or zuk gel

Large Rifle W/S with their adj bracket and logo plate

extra madstad W/S mount

sorry can't get the pic to link

IMG]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb52/tjwyble/photo1.jpg[/img]

Good choice! A Wee is a great bike to accompany the Done Right.

Wybs, we must be of like minds! :thumbsup:I have he same set, DR650 (2008) as my around town "play" bike and the 2005 V-Strom as my two up and long-hall "bagger" . Both are great bikes :confused:(as I am sure you know!) and both are super reliable. My Strom has 64K miles on it and runs like new. I took it on an 8,500 mile road trip last fall (Orlando - Albuquerque- Portland OR, Northern California-back to Portland- back to Albuquerque- then home to Orlando). I plan on doing Orl - ABQ- Portland and back again this summer. I have most but not all of the same farkles. I prefer to ride the DR because it is so light and nimble except when two up with the wife, long trips, or when I really need the bags to hall stuff back from the store.

You are going to love the Strom! Now the problem is, which bike do I ride today??:thumbsup:

Funny - I swapped bikes from a quite fairly tuned SV 650S to a (former stock) DR. Only thing I´d like to have kept was the engine - torquey, fun to ride and very reliable. You won´t kill that V-Strom-engine soon.

It´s just a question of taste: If the V-Strom was lighter and would not cause eye-cancer with me it would also have been a bike to consider.

Funny - I swapped bikes from a quite fairly tuned SV 650S to a (former stock) DR. Only thing I´d like to have kept was the engine - torquey, fun to ride and very reliable. You won´t kill that V-Strom-engine soon.

It´s just a question of taste: If the V-Strom was lighter and would not cause eye-cancer with me it would also have been a bike to consider.

Eye cancer - that's a good way to describe it. much more polite than my girlfriends words (she was not a fan of this change). I think I went from the best looking bike ever made (IMO of course) to the ahhh - best looking from the riders position? What you don't think the V looks better than this??

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb52/tjwyble/P1010023.jpg

Sorry photobucket changed and I can't seem to put image on here