Sign in to follow this  

Ktm 300 xc-w vs. 400 xc-f ?

This whole process would be a lot easier if you could just "test" the bike's before you buy... So I need some insight to which of these two great bikes would suit my riding style better.

I ride Taneum Creek, Bellfair, Mattawa. Have not done a lot of rides over 30mi but want to start to do more. Current bike is a '02 WR250F, did all the basic mods, pipe, header, yz cam, re-geared, suspension(DeVol). Bike runs great and is a lot more fun since the upgrades. Still looking for a little "more" and yeah, the magic button would be nice touch. Not a big jumper but love to go fast and enjoy the technical stuff to. I have done my home work on both bikes and truth is I would be happy on either just thought I would try and get some feed back before I drop that amount of $$ .

Thanks,

FC

Edited by FC Sparling
want to add my Height, weight, age

I would go for the 300. Reason is because if something happens to the motor on that 400 then its going to be SUPER expensive to rebuild. Trustme, my buddy rebuilt his 05 ktm450sx and i nearly died when i saw the price. But it was only gaskets and pston rings but still the price for their stuff is rediculous.

The 300 will be way cheaper to rebuild if something would happen to it

Definitely get the 300. I'm not trying to diss 4 strokes, but the 300 is superior in just about every way then the 400 (more power, less weight, etc.) Also, 2 strokes are easy to start :thumbsup:. The only time the 400 would be better is if you wanted to dual sport.

Another vote for the 300. Just hard to beat a 2 stroke in the woods. Lighter, lighter feeling, more power, more snap to the power (that gets addictive in a hurry), and waaay simplier to maintain. Both bikes are e-start so that's not an issue.

You won't go wrong with either bike, but.. The 400 is going to be a slightly stronger version of what you have. The 300 will be a whole 'nother level of animal entirely.

The 400 is an RFS motor. Very reliable. Yamaha like really. :thumbsup:

If I were to drop big coin on a trail bike that'd be the one (400). Compared to a 300: Better fuel mileage, bike surprisingly doesn't overheat, compression braking, etc. Both are surprisingly very quiet trail bikes.

300s have been known to overheat. I rode with a KX250F, YZ250, 300XC and 400XCF at Teanaway. It was 100 degrees. We climbed some steep brutal mtn grades and it was nearly 100* F. Everybody kept steaming/puking all the way up except the 400XCF.

Thanks for the info. I should have mentioned, I am 5'6" and 170 lbs. Not sure if this matters much, the WR I ride now is heavier than the 400 and feels good. I want something I can grow into and will challenge me to become a better rider. I don't want to get into something that after a season the "Thrill is Gone"... Rather have a little too much to start with if you know what I mean.

FC Sparling

Thanks for the info. I should have mentioned, I am 5'6" and 170 lbs. Not sure if this matters much, the WR I ride now is heavier than the 400 and feels good. I want something I can grow into and will challenge me to become a better rider. I don't want to get into something that after a season the "Thrill is Gone"... Rather have a little too much to start with if you know what I mean.

FC Sparling

300 will keep you entertained for a long time. Make sure you get the JD jet kit if you buy one because they come too rich.

One more thing about the 400. Are you planning to buy new? 2009 was the last year KTM made the 400, so if you don't have a line on a leftover, it may not be an option, other than a used one.

Any thing else other than the JD jet kit for the 300?

As far as the 400 goes, 2010 is the last year of production. Soon to be replaced by the fuel injected 350 XC-W, thats what I am hearing. There are a few of each year left, about a $500 dollar diff between the '09 n '10.

The guy jetted it too lean and ran it a 45:1.

Used good oil though. KTM says 60:1 using motorex. Yes, if you jet you bike too lean it will seize. Just providing clarity to the "they're jetted too fat from factory" and that JD jet kits are one size fits all solutions.

Any thing else other than the JD jet kit for the 300?

As far as the 400 goes, 2010 is the last year of production. Soon to be replaced by the fuel injected 350 XC-W, thats what I am hearing. There are a few of each year left, about a $500 dollar diff between the '09 n '10.

Yup, my mistake. They did make the 400 in 2010. They were touted to be great east coast enduro bikes, seen them refered to a lot in Trail Rider magazine.

Local KTM dealer got an '09 leftover from somewhere last winter, had it priced at $6700.

I don't think either bike will be a "thrill is gone" type. That said, I'd go for the 300. A few guys I ride with will have to be careful they don't start a religion off of the 300. They're SOLD, in love, head over heels, you get the idea. One of them went from the 400 to a 300 and, though he didn't hate the 400, loves the 300 so much more. A few quirks to my riding preference kept me from going the 300 route, but it's a truly phenomenal trail machine.

I have an '09 300 xc-w. Great bike, it would be ideal for your location I would think. I really only have one gripe about the 300, getting the jetting spot on can be tricky. On the other hand, re-jetting isn't bad at all cause the carb is so easy to get to. As recommended by many on TT and KTM talk, I went up to a 38 pilot jet and I have had no overheating problems since. I can tractor up long slow climbs and get no puking. To get the most out of the 300 you have to learn to ride it a gear higher than you would think. It is a lugger, or better stated, it can be a lugger. If you are trail riding and get "on the pipe", it can be a handful. Unlike most smaller 2 strokes it actually does have some compression braking. I happen to like a little compression braking.

I spent the day on an '09 400 awhile back and I was super impressed with it. Electric/smooth for sure. It was well set up (jetting/suspension). The power was just right, not too much, not too little. Main complaint--heavy/heavy feeling vs the 300. If you like 4 strokes I think you would love the 400.

Both great bikes IMO.

Thanks, yeah I was also kicking around that bike, I have heard good things. I would like to still have the flickable feeling. I have heard it is very stable and has a "planted" feel. Any feed back on the 530??

FC