Sign in to follow this  

New bike! XL600R

just picked this unit for $500. seems like a good deal so far, especially in canada. its a 1983 xl600r. odometer reads 25 000 kms. i plan on making it my dual sport bike, but wont have my DL back for 3 more months and at least another month to get my MC license. heres how it looked after a good bath.

XL600R001.jpg

XL600R002.jpg

XL600R003.jpg

XL600R004.jpg

XL600R005.jpg

XL600R006.jpg

the good:

-the bike had been sitting for over two years with old gas, and i managed to get it fired on the second kick

-new rear tire

-tank and plastics minus faring are all there and in decent shape

-the wheels are in very good shape

-feels like good compression when i kick it over - i can stand on the kickstarter when its on compression stroke and it doesnt turn over (im 210 lbs)

the bad:

- fork seal on disc side leaks and has been leaking for a long time and saturated the rotor and pads

-one of the throttle cables is broken

-it smokes when running

-air filter wasnt installed properly

-no kill switch, key switch, and im pretty sure the speedo doesnt work

theres lots of hokey shit on it, like the custom heat shield and taped up headlight. the guy who had it before me bought it with all the street legal stuff already taken off. he said cruised gravel with it

i want to make it street legal again, but im unsure if i should try to piece the old honda stuff together, or buy a baja desings kit??? from taking a quick look on ebay, it looks like its gona be hard to find OEM honda parts. what you guys think?

the motor does tick quite a bit.i plan on doing a valve adjustment (looks ALOT easier than my crf450r)

what else should i do to help the motor? does it have a automatic cam chain adjuster or manual?

i will be getting a free clymer manual from my neighbour within a week...

im very surprised you got it started on the second kick! my dad has three of these bikes and each one has a special way to get it started.these are great bikes bullet proof and will rarely let you down. good buy, is my opinion.

im very surprised you got it started on the second kick! my dad has three of these bikes and each one has a special way to get it started.these are great bikes bullet proof and will rarely let you down. good buy, is my opinion.

good to hear...i was very surprised too, from what i read about these bikes before going to look at it, i was expecting to kick all day, especially cause the guy said he didnt know if it would run...

i bought this bike with no title so before i start putting money into it, ill see if its possible to get the title and insure it

I just bought an 83 XL600R also. Paid $600, $200 to transfer and register in my name and then another $300 to $400 to get it road worthy. It had a blown cylinder base gasket. When I got it apart I found water damage to the cylinder so to ebay I went. There was also what looked like JB Weld on the front of the case so I took them apart. When I got all the parts and gaskets and had it just about together, the Clymer manual screwed me but good! Went to install the kickstart assembly and tried to install it CLOCKWISE as per the book. It should read COUNTER CLOCKWISE! I did not realize I had screwed up the spring and when I tried to start it it kicked back and the kickstart lever broke the clutch case!!!

Lucky for me my local shop has a dungeon with old parts and I found what I needed. They let me steal the case and another kickstart assy for $15. Just got it running again today!!

I just bought an 83 XL600R also. Paid $600, $200 to transfer and register in my name and then another $300 to $400 to get it road worthy. It had a blown cylinder base gasket. When I got it apart I found water damage to the cylinder so to ebay I went. There was also what looked like JB Weld on the front of the case so I took them apart. When I got all the parts and gaskets and had it just about together, the Clymer manual screwed me but good! Went to install the kickstart assembly and tried to install it CLOCKWISE as per the book. It should read COUNTER CLOCKWISE! I did not realize I had screwed up the spring and when I tried to start it it kicked back and the kickstart lever broke the clutch case!!!

Lucky for me my local shop has a dungeon with old parts and I found what I needed. They let me steal the case and another kickstart assy for $15. Just got it running again today!!

that sucks, but at least you got it fixed for cheap. how does this bike do on the road? lots of vibrations? good a highway speed??

x2 on pics!

Just got back from riding about 50 miles, yeah it vibrates but not excessive. Depends on how much throttle you have. Lots of power. My speedo is not working but I know I was hitting 70 and had lots of throttle left.