New crank, piston and connecting rod (01 CR250)

My piston just recently ceased up. It also had pieces come off. So there is a lot of metal shards on top of my piston and most likely in my crank case. I'm gonna replace my piston & rings, crank & connecting rod, seals, gaskets, and bearings. It's had factory parts since the year it was made, '01. So it's time for new ones anyway! I want to order them online. I'm specifically looking for wiseco. I went to wiseco.com and way to expensive. I had 2 other option that I am aware of; Ebay, which I have never used before. And the other is OEMCYCLE.com. Has anyone ordered any parts off of these 2 sites? If so how are they? How is the condition of the product? Is the site reliable? Like can I order and actually get my parts or am I just giving away money?

my friend ordered from OEM cycle as have I. they are reliable. no issues. however for my botten end I had thumpertalk price match oemcycle. I got a good deal and supported the site.

fyi check the crank snout on the right side where the collar mounts (if you have all original like you said I recommend you replace the collar. its in the OEM Fische under clutch parts even though its for the crank). on mine it was too long causing a transmission fluid leak that required me grinding down the snout. wiseco DID offer replacing it but they took a while to get back to me so I just ground it down. its held up fine though.

Thank you mynewcr250. Oemcycle.com looked a little shady, so I had to be sure! I just checked the price of the crank kit on thumper and it was $351 compared to oem's $166. And it's the full kit. Bearings, seals, gaskets, the whole 9.

oemcycle.com is great. I use them almost exclusively for aftermarket parts. I haven't found anywhere that beats their price on most of the products that they carry. They are fast and reliable. Ebay is a good place to get parts but frankly, I have been able to get anything that you can buy new on ebay from oemcycle cheaper. If you are going to buy used, make sure the seller has an perfect or nearly perfect feedback rating. I have gotten some real crap from ebay and I have also gotten some really nice used parts there as well.

I ordered a full wiseco bottom end kit off ebay for a great price. Havent installed it yet but it looks good and has crank, main bearings, gaskets and all lower end seals.

Thank you mynewcr250. Oemcycle.com looked a little shady, so I had to be sure! I just checked the price of the crank kit on thumper and it was $351 compared to oem's $166. And it's the full kit. Bearings, seals, gaskets, the whole 9.

You must have been looking at a different kit. The thumpertalk wiseco bottom end rebuild kit is $195, still quite a bit more then oemcycle but not $360

EDIT: the part number for the wiseco bottom end rebuild kit was 16-4702

well I'm gonna go with OEM they seem to be the cheapest and everyone has something good to say about them. But I'm def gonna need both top and bottom end because I took out my piston and took the cylinder off and the whole bottom of the piston broke off and was in 100's of pieces. They are inside of the crank case and everywhere else. Hopefully everything works out Thanks yall

well I'm gonna go with OEM they seem to be the cheapest and everyone has something good to say about them. But I'm def gonna need both top and bottom end because I took out my piston and took the cylinder off and the whole bottom of the piston broke off and was in 100's of pieces. They are inside of the crank case and everywhere else. Hopefully everything works out Thanks yall

Go oem on the bottom end and wiseco on the top. Wiseco makes good pistons.

Well I figure I should post the pic of my piston. It is really mangled!! I don't know what would make it blow up like this..... But here it is: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1987751580580&set=a.1986874198646.123666.1447027578&type=1&theater I made an album and posted the pics there so I could show yall it. And here is the second pic of the top of the piston: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1987752700608&set=a.1986874198646.123666.1447027578&type=1&theater&pid=2263547&id=1447027578

***This is piston number 2. Going on 3????

Edited by Annonymous

So you arent going to replate the cylinder after all of that damage and getting a new crank?

Great suggestion GSCX! Didn't think of that.

You mite want to do a google search or a youtube search on Wiseco cranks before you buy one apparently their quality is slipping they have been sending out cranks that are not trued very well! I did that search my self as I use Wiseco pistons exclusively and was gonna do a bottom with one until I came across some posts and a few youtube videos.

Damn already ordered wiseco top and bottom end Whitey2.

like i said, thumpertalk price matched oemcycle last time. i got it for oemcycles price + 10% off and you support the site :thumbsup:

Damn already ordered wiseco top and bottom end Whitey2.

i wouldnt worry TOO much, just be sure to check the right crank snout and make sure the gear tightens up proper against the collar.

this is a video i made of mine, which required me grinding down the right snout so that the gear contacted the collar correctly, and quit using trans fluid. i have had 2 people so far mention they have had the same issue on 97-01 wiseco cranks.

Now that I have seen your video mynewcr250, I really wish i would have listened to Whitey2! I should have went with the OEM on the crank and bought it from thumper. To late now.

i would guess that when the bottom of the piston broke that's when it quit running but the scoring on the left side of the piston in the second pic looks like the it might ahve happened before the right side broke. I would make sure you don't have any air leaks around the filter. like the filter is not sealing off good or the seal between the airboot and filter housing is not leaking. Also look at the ring on the left side in pic 2 see how it wore down in, like a step down at the scoring. if it all went at once i don't think the ring would wear that muck, rings a pretty tough. just my 2 cents, if that was your 2nd piston check everything and then check it again because something is going on and if you don't find it you maybe on #3 before long. It's hard to tell what really went wrong when everything is as chewed up as that. Maybe the cylinderout round, dirt getting to piston, jetting, (never erver let a 2 stroke run out of gas like cutting off the fuel and running it till it stops.) when it run out of gas you don't have any oil on the cylinder walls and the temp in the cylinder gets super hot.

Now that I have seen your video mynewcr250, I really wish i would have listened to Whitey2! I should have went with the OEM on the crank and bought it from thumper. To late now.

lol, i hear that, BUT, let me tell you that me and a friend did our bottem ends at the same time. Both used wiseco kits. his from oemcycle, mine from the TT store. i had problems, he didnt.

i believe the kits just had a short run of junk that happened to make its way to my hands, not necessarily due to a parts issue, but maybe more so a tooling issue with a worn machine or one that was set up incorrectly. if it makes you feel better, wiseco offered a replacement no questions asked, but i told them i already took a grinder to it to fix it, they sent me a full top end kit at no charge, to keep me happy.

Yeah man sorry I didn't post up before ya bought it bro :thumbsup: when I googled it I was pretty amazed myself have been a big Wiseco fan for years! Like has been said before just check the snout and gear clearance and if ya have access maybe have someone check it for true. I say that because besides Mynewcr's video their is another guy on youtube with a Wiseco crank setup that was so outa true he couldn't get the cases to mate, runout was .050 I believe now that could have happened in shipping but I have seen way to many negs for me too buy one itll be OEM or HotRods for me HotRods Guarantees .001 runout on their cranks last time I checked.

I'm glad they hooked you up with a new parts for free, that makes it alittle easier. A friend of mine has been building engines for years and just buying the crank and topend kits and norices some engine had more vibration than others. He now owns his own shop with crank jigs and tells me that some new cranks comes just like you said way out of true. now when he installs a new crank he check and trues it. I have had falicon cranks ballance a few of mine before. they ran smoother up top but right off idle was about the same as far as vibration goes, also the ballanced cranks seems to rev out farther than stock or after market crank.