Sign in to follow this  

How to lower noise on my -04 WR 250

Hi

I have a -04 WR 250 2-stroke. Bought it in december. Changed the top end, and repacked the muffler.

I like it a lot. It is fast, exciting, and easy to handle. But the noise.......Jeeeeez, Louise.

When I drive down the streets my neigbours look like this: :thumbsup:

I searched this forum for tips on how to lower the noise level, and found several people posting they were so happy with their bikes for their LOW noise levels. Whats up with that? :worthy:

Seriously, my bike is loud like s***. A lot of noise from the air filter box when I open up the throttle, and a lot of noise from the chamber/front silencer. I do not think the rear silencer is that bad, but I silent replacement is of interest.

Any suggestions on how to lower the overall noise level, to keep the neighbours happy, and the police away from wanting to bite my head off?

:confused:

Harald

I had the same problem and I really like to keep the neighbours happy so these are the things I tried.

Try sealing the pipe to the cylinder with high temp silicone. That took away a huge rattle on my WR360.

The Db snorkle works but not as well as it should given how ugly it is.:thumbsup:

I used corflute to make up a more enclosed airbox. That worked but was a bit of a hassle to get right.

I didnt try it but wrapping part or all of the pipe in silicone tape (rescue tape) might be an option if you are desperate. There's a guy on TT has a post about doing this.

Hope this helps.

Pete

I had the same problem and I really like to keep the neighbours happy so these are the things I tried.

Try sealing the pipe to the cylinder with high temp silicone. That took away a huge rattle on my WR360.

The Db snorkle works but not as well as it should given how ugly it is.:thumbsup:

I used corflute to make up a more enclosed airbox. That worked but was a bit of a hassle to get right.

I didnt try it but wrapping part or all of the pipe in silicone tape (rescue tape) might be an option if you are desperate. There's a guy on TT has a post about doing this.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Good tips! Thanks a lot. Will try the silicone-fix, and perhaps close up the airbox a bit.

Not a bad idea. Thanks for the tip. I got the air box insulated with sound deadening material yesterday. That helped. Will consider the pipe wrap before I go Stealth.

Not a bad idea. Thanks for the tip. I got the air box insulated with sound deadening material yesterday. That helped. Will consider the pipe wrap before I go Stealth.

Here's another one and a link to a good thread. Different packing and variable inserts may work. This guy's stealth blew a 92dB.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10311921&postcount=23

Check ou endure engineering. I was in there the other day and they have a pipe and can for huskies.