Lowering my 2011 KX250F

As a shortie, 5'5", and a newbie to MX, I needed to try and find a way to gain an inch or two to give me a little peace of mind when riding my new 2011Here's how I got the bike about 3.5 inches lower:

properly set the sag = 1/2"

installed Kouba link = 1 1/2"

ordered shaved seat from SDG = 1 1/2"

Now, with my mx boots on I can easily touch toes to the ground on both sides at the saem time. Once the bike suspension breaks in a bit, I will likely get a little more relief.

By the way, I must say I am very impressed with my dealings with SDG. They didn't have a lowered seat listed on their website but when I called them Jeff at SDG went out of his way to ensure they could get me what I wanted. For about $160 I got a real nice seat with a green and black gripper cover that is about 1 1\2 inches lowr than a stock seat and it looks great!

Just a bit of of info for a shorty like myself who is looking for a bit of peace of mind...

• Like 1

You short guys should get someone to cut/modify your subframe. You will really notice that.

I wouldn't even think about doing that to my new 2011! ? but then again if there is someone qualified to do it..

The best and correct way to lower a bike is through the use of internal spacers in the shock and forks. While a suspension guy is doing that, he can put the correct springs for your weight in and valve it to suit your riding style. All other methods (links, screwing with sag) are compromises though they will be a non issue if you are just casual trail plonker but if you ride hard, you will notice a big difference.

For lowering the front I simply moved the forks up in the triple clamps as far as they would go. Made a differeince of about 1/3 of an inch only.

Had it out at the track for the first time this weekend, felt great. Now keep in mind I'm really new to MX and dirt biking in general so I am no speed demon, so your mileage may vary.

Perhaps going the route of having the suspension rebuilt/revalved, sub-frame cut and other methods suggested here is the right route for the more advanced riders. I'm just sharing what has worked for me, and may work for others who are vertically challenged.

The custom seat looks real slick by the way, and I don't notice the decrease in padding at all but sure notice and appreciate being able to touch the ground.

tell me about it. I'm 5'2 and have my 09 250f set up with a link, raised forks about 1/2 or whatever (don't remember the true " now) in the front as recommended by Norm and my sag at 3.9". I actually still have the stock seat, but i have to tiptoe 1 side and do a balancing act at times. let me just say holes are not my friend when i'm standing around ;P I'm really considering doing my seat (would like a cut seat with step-up, but the step-up being the normal height, if that makes sense). that way i could lower my sag a bit (well lessen, whatever you'd call it). I'm weird, it just annoys me and makes me feel like i'm less of a skilled rider because the bike, rear fender, is lower then other buddies bikes =( not saying i'm amazing by far, but you know what I mean.

am i the only one like that here? I love the bike, and its rideable.. but it just looks/is lower friends and dunno. i feel like a little kid in a way because of it! =(

and let me tell you, 5'2, going from a 125 to a 250 4s is a pretty big jump, i think i wheelied and almost died 4 time sin the first month on it, getting used to it;P

Honestly, I don't really care what others think and do what works for me. If others have an issue with what my bike looks like, or for that matter with what I look like, then they don't need to ride with me.

In fact, I have installed a Trail Tech kickstand on my bike which my son says looks very,very gay! And, he's likely right, but so what. It works for me. Makes it easier to kick the bike over if I stall on some uneven ground.

My son still rides with me by the way. Not bad having a 17 year old son who wants to spend time with his 50 year old dad. There must be something to this motocross thing. But that's the subject of another thread...

William1 said it right.

I had my bike lowered as soon as I bought it. I didn't have the seat shaved as I wanted to go lower on the suspension first, then if I had to make up some more height I would shaved the seat (which I did) I left a nice speed bump at the back.

I'm 5'2 as well and having a suspension guy lower the bike with proper springs for my weight, spacers and doing the rear shock properly was the best thing I did. Whatever you do with the rear you should be doing to the front as well. There are some guys who really like the front forks up high.

I looked at links and the cons made me go with a professional doing my suspension. Sure it cost a bit more but it was well worth it.

If I only ever rode MX I wouldn't touch the bike aside from proper springs/valving. I would want to maintain the most travel and ground clearance possible. But I only ride %25 track. I might consider subframe mods, but atleast I can reverse everything done to my bike so far.

iggle - your bike is simply going to look lower, not much you can do about that unless you started trimming your plastics to give the illusion there is more space between them and the rear tire.

The 250's are good, I could stand for a little more get up and go though. Next year I might lean towards something that is orange in a 350. I do love my Kawi though.

Thinking about what you both said has kind of made me think about it a different way. Obviously it has to be modified one way or another bc of our height, if it looks strange and people don't like it they can shove my oem bars somewhere the sun doesn't shine. It allows me to ride/ride better, and it will just be that much better when the 'stupid <or other random insults i don't wan tot be banned for;p>' looking bike kid can rides better then said person with my midget bike ?

glad to see i'm not the only small guy here!

There are definately all kinds of different schools of thought on this subject and the use of links. I know when Motocross Action Magazine reviewed the 2011 Honda CRF250R they said they would not recommend riding it unless a lowering link was installed. The link apparently helped smooth out some of the eratic handling of the CRF.

I know a CRF is not a KXF but an interesting observation just the same.

In my mind it is worth a try, is relatively cheap (about $150), and is easily reversible if you don't like it. For now it seems to be working for me...

i don't see how it can be that negative when you are replacing one link with a different one. i can see people saying that the geometry gets altered, but how much does it really?

my 04 kx250f with kouba link and forks slid up about 3/4" seems to corner a lot better than the stock suspension setup (with my proper spring rate). the rear suspension feels a bit more plush too. it could be just mental though.

one downside to the lowering link is that it rendered my trail tech kickstand useless, and was more of a "kick over". The bike rested on the stand pretty close to straight up before I lowered it...so afterwards the stand wanted to help rest the bike on the right side. of course the good people of trail tech took care of this for me and swapped me out for a supermoto version which is a lot shorter and works very well for my setup.

another downside to the link is less clearance underneath my skid plate.

i'm still in my "testing" phase with the link...but after just one ride/race with it, i am thinking that it will stay...i have a new found love for being able to touch earth.