Sign in to follow this  

KDX220 questions

Greetings, I am a newbie to trail riding.

Live in the PNW and ride in Tillamook state forest.

I bought a 2004 KDX220R basically in stock configuration.

Have been out riding about 4 times now and have found it to be the most fun on 2 wheels i've had in a long time.

WIth fun comes responsibilities with regards to maintaining a bike. I suck at this as i just didn't grow up in a society where people work on their own machines. My home country is not one known for garage culture with people barely owning the most basic of tools, if that.

I am hoping to learn how to maintain my own bike and to keep it in ready to shred state.

A few questions::

1> First good crash on the first time out bent the factory 7/8 bar out of whack and since then it has become worse.

I bought a Pro Taper Controur (high bend) fat bar to install in its stead.

I have the bar mounts for the fat bar, they are rubber based. Are there any better ones to look for? I have heard that even thought he fat bars might not bend these rubber mounts might actually bend themselves. I plan on using them for the time being however since i have them on hand.

2> As for the bark busters that I have currently mounted on the 7/8 bar:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190513853261&viewitem=#ht_3061wt_1165

I can't seem to identify these so i can get a pro taper mount kit for these bark busters.

Alternatively, do you guys suggest any non-cycra triple tree hard mount bark busters in its stead?

3> are triple tree mount bark busters better of handlebar mounted ones?

4> I am also looking for a set of radiator guards. ANy recommendations will be most welcome. The MSR racing is currently out of stock nearly every place i have tried. ANy other that is worht looking into?

On a side note, I further resorted to getting a thumper talk skid plate as the ricochet and msr ones didn't have protection for the water pump section.

One further upgrade to the bike at hand is that a friend is helping me repalce my compeltely shot front tire with a new dunlop 952 (same as the rear) tomorrow. Can't wait to see what improvement that brinks to the bike in terms of traction as my current ones are in pathetic condition.

Thanks in advnace and shred on!!

Do a search for JUST KDX and you will get to a site that is just that. You will find excellent info there. Good luck.

DEVOL sells some good protective stuff for that bike and easy to install. I have Rad guards, waterpump guards, and rotor guards from them on my KDX.

Congrats on the purchase. I threw some answers in RED below.

A few questions::

1> First good crash on the first time out bent the factory 7/8 bar out of whack and since then it has become worse.

I bought a Pro Taper Controur (high bend) fat bar to install in its stead.

I have the bar mounts for the fat bar, they are rubber based. Are there any better ones to look for? I have heard that even thought he fat bars might not bend these rubber mounts might actually bend themselves. I plan on using them for the time being however since i have them on hand.

The rubber mounts can twist, they don't actually bend. You might find after a crash that the bars will be turned to one side because of this. I could always just turn the bars all the way to the steering stop, then reef on them and twist the rubbers back into place. A single top clamp that spans both rubber lowers will help stop twisting, and still allow them to dampen vibrations, such as the one pictured.

2> As for the bark busters that I have currently mounted on the 7/8 bar:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190513853261&viewitem=#ht_3061wt_1165

I can't seem to identify these so i can get a pro taper mount kit for these bark busters.

I've mixed and matched mounts and bark busters too many times to count. I think right now I have MSR bark busters, Acerbics end mounts, and Cycra bar mounts. Bar bend makes more difference than mounting hardware brand.

Alternatively, do you guys suggest any non-cycra triple tree hard mount bark busters in its stead?

Some guys love them because they add strength, other's hate them because they add stiffness and vibration. I've never tried them myself, sorry.

3> are triple tree mount bark busters better of handlebar mounted ones?

Answered above, I guess.

4> I am also looking for a set of radiator guards. ANy recommendations will be most welcome. The MSR racing is currently out of stock nearly every place i have tried. ANy other that is worht looking into?

Sorry, I run Bulletproof Designs. Love em, and they don't currently make them for the KDX.

On a side note, I further resorted to getting a thumper talk skid plate as the ricochet and msr ones didn't have protection for the water pump section.

I ran a Utah Richochet skid plate, which is the same as Moose. I had no issues with water pump protection, the plate matched the frame ears under the pump. Years of abuse in Arizona rocks mangled a lot of things, but never a water pump.

One further upgrade to the bike at hand is that a friend is helping me repalce my compeltely shot front tire with a new dunlop 952 (same as the rear) tomorrow. Can't wait to see what improvement that brinks to the bike in terms of traction as my current ones are in pathetic condition.

Thanks in advnace and shred on!!

Picture834.jpg