Sign in to follow this  

xt 550 on fire

ok so i just bought a 1982 xt 550. it was in decent condidtion, having a brand new crank shaft as well as piston rings and all new gaskets. it needed the headlight and tail/brake lights wired. me being as cheap as i am i hard wired them to the battery with toggle switches as to not have to go through buying a new ignition and such. the bike started fine but somehow i grounded a wire to the frame that went to the battery. when i went to put the seat on smoke started coming out from under the tank. behold the ignition coil hath caught fire!! so i bought a new one from great briton from wemoto or something and wired it up replacing all of the wires that were roasted and removing all of the hardwiring i did just for safety purposes. i still can get the bike to fire and would very greatly appreciate any advise, help, or trouble shooting i would recieve from you much more knowledgable fellows. thank you

ok nobody is responding. but i have traced the problem to either the cdi or the pulser coil. i think its the pulser coil just because i tried to test it by unplugging the connection and wiring the headllight to it and kicking it over. no light so im assuming its bad. if anyone finds a problem with this logic please speak up. any and all suggestions are welcome

alright still nobody answering.. you guys are absolutely no help at all so thank you. i figure i can just look up the info and buy a different stator and reg rect for it and bolt it all up peachy keen. thanks for the help everybody your amazing

You are working on a bike that is almost 30 years old. There may not be many guys here who are used to working on them.

Your first post is a little confusing. Can you get the bike running now or not? You have removed all of the wiring that you put on, is that correct? Do you happen to have a wiring diagram for your bike?

If the bike is running, then your CDI and stator should be fine. If it isn't running, then you should be able to test the stator for voltage with a meter while kicking it over, but you should also be able to test it through resistance.

The stators are pretty robust and seldom fail. The CDIs on those old thumpers are getting up there in age, but again, they seldom fail.

The very first thing that I would do is make sure that I had the correct wiring diagram for that model. Sometimes you can find that info online, but I would go to my local library and see if they have the Clymer manual for it. Many times the old Clymer manuals would have the wiring diagrams and some simple tests that you can do with a meter to narrow down your problem.

As a final note, when you rewire the harness, you have to ensure that don't wire anything directly to the battery. Everything should be wired through a fused connection and you should have a main fuse that connects to the battery. That way, if you accidentally short something out later, you only blow the fuse and not burn your harness.

alright still nobody answering.. you guys are absolutely no help at all so thank you. i figure i can just look up the info and buy a different stator and reg rect for it and bolt it all up peachy keen. thanks for the help everybody your amazing

Only three posts here and you already acting like that?:thumbsup: