Pumper carb

Before i order a Mikuni Pumper on Monday, just want to throw out a feeler if anyone had one they wanted to sale? Maybe an Edelbrock even?

If not, any better deal than XR'SONLY for the Mikuni?

Every other place I see them they are 400+.

Keep an eye on ebay, I've seen a few eddys pop up on there. Not so much for the mikuni for some reason.:thumbsup:

I purchased a Mikuni pumper from XRsonly last year and I can tell you for sure, you will NOT see mine on eBay anytime soon!!:thumbsup:

You can buy the FCR pumper for CRF's for $150 or so all week long. why would anyone pay $400 for one??

You can buy the FCR pumper for CRF's for $150 or so all week long. why would anyone pay $400 for one??

not that it matters to me... cause down time making things work, needing to order new throttle set-up and jets and the fact i don't use ebay weren't enough? I thought i read that johnny had a made for xr4 fcr and it barely fit?

Heres a quote i read referring to fcr's off new mx bikes..."the carbs you mention are 'newer' and larger bodied.

The carb I have on my bike, is an older model and style. And it BARELY fits.

Best to find that BST40 and run with it.

(or ... I have a Mikuni Pumper you can take off my hands. Bolts right on!!)"

not that it matters to me... cause down time making things work, needing to order new throttle set-up and jets and the fact i don't use ebay weren't enough? I thought i read that johnny had a made for xr4 fcr and it barely fit?

Heres a quote i read referring to fcr's off new mx bikes..."the carbs you mention are 'newer' and larger bodied.

The carb I have on my bike, is an older model and style. And it BARELY fits.

Best to find that BST40 and run with it.

(or ... I have a Mikuni Pumper you can take off my hands. Bolts right on!!)"

i"m with you on rigging something up to work. But plenty of guys have done this swap now, and documented it well as far as exactly what you need and how to do it. And which models to get and which to avoid.

Don't need to invent anything. :thumbsup:

Yeh, well there's a work around for that. Involves some custom parts that you make and rig up......... OR

DON"T BUY THOSE CARBS MENTIONED..........................:thumbsup:

Yeh, well there's a work around for that. Involves some custom parts that you make and rig up......... OR

DON"T BUY THOSE CARBS MENTIONED..........................:thumbsup:

Looks like some have tried and claim good results with brs42... For the type riding i do, would be worried about MPG w/ this set-up. Out west we ride a long ways between gas stops (this seems like a good option for built motors. I sent the link to a neighbor w/ 440 hotcam'd bike) thank you to the contributers who spent the time to document their conversions!

I didn't find the many documented details on the FCR conversion when i searched? But you do say it requires "custom parts and rigging up"

And the bst40 requires the some custom machine work and looks to be very difficult to get to the jets, in the field.

I guess it boils down to how much down time you can live with, the end result you seek and how much your time is worth. FCR at claimed $150+, plus $$ throttle cable, need single pull throttle? $$, $$ jets and couple hours to do custom work, rigging up and combing over ebay, ordering jets, etc... what do you make an hour?

xrsonly carb is $389 w/ extra range of jets and i can be off and riding next weekend.

get the mikuni over the edelbrock.

You should put IMO at the end of that statement, in my opinion. Just saying.

just throwing this out there, edle brock has discontinued the throttle cables, for this application,they are hard to find.

Looks like some have tried and claim good results with brs42... For the type riding i do, would be worried about MPG w/ this set-up. Out west we ride a long ways between gas stops (this seems like a good option for built motors. I sent the link to a neighbor w/ 440 hotcam'd bike) thank you to the contributers who spent the time to document their conversions!

I didn't find the many documented details on the FCR conversion when i searched? But you do say it requires "custom parts and rigging up"

And the bst40 requires the some custom machine work and looks to be very difficult to get to the jets, in the field.

I guess it boils down to how much down time you can live with, the end result you seek and how much your time is worth. FCR at claimed $150+, plus $$ throttle cable, need single pull throttle? $$, $$ jets and couple hours to do custom work, rigging up and combing over ebay, ordering jets, etc... what do you make an hour?

xrsonly carb is $389 w/ extra range of jets and i can be off and riding next weekend.

The 'custom parts and rigging' was jest, as in "don't buy the ones that don't work without custom parts and rigging". :worthy:

As I said, there are plenty of writeups, with pictoral "Step 1"'s to make this an EASY swap if you really want to do it. This in not the only cycle site on the web......

Search on CRF pumper carbs and you'll find more than you can read.

No $$ throttle cables, (the RIGHT ones use the stock cables), no rigging. Why would anyone "comb" Ebay for hours??

You post the search you are looking for and tell Ebay to email when 1 comes up for sale.

Not too tough. :busted:

In the time it takes to order the Xr's minkuni, you could search google and find the specific info you need to know what exact model you want.

http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/products-kits-fcrh.html

I understand what you're saying. I"ve done plenty of "making things work" and I'm tired of it. I'm ready to bolt on things whenever possible.

But $400+ for a carb is just plain silly imo when you can buy the exact same thing (functionally) for less than 1/2 that.

I like XR's Only and have spent thousands of dollars there, but some of their stuff is crazy expensive, and this is one of them.

I spend a lot of money on my bikes, but I still don't throw handfuls of money at something when a couple of bills will suffice. :thumbsup:

Personally, I find the stocker, rejetted, with the normal breathing mods, to be a perfectly functional piece. But I certainly understand the need to 'tweak'. :confused: (not the drug useage tweak.... disclaimer....)

If I thought the pumper was a big deal I would have done it. Might still when I get bored and/or time on my hands.

As for what I make, NOYB. :moon:

Lets just say that if I thought for a minute there was $400 worth of improvement, that I would have one. :smirk:

for the record, edelbrock is closing out their carburetors and that is also effecting parts, i.e. they don't make them. I had to hunt for a new accelerator pump a couple months ago because they just don't make them anymore. it's stupid..... but that's the way it goes

i was just wondering if anyone ever made the 400ex carb work on there bike. i see them on ebay pretty cheap.

i was just wondering if anyone ever made the 400ex carb work on there bike. i see them on ebay pretty cheap.

I am pretty sure they are too big to fit in the frame. otherwise it would be a good swap.

The FCR 39, (non-MX) will fit in the bike if you clock it very slightly, but it is a very tight fit and is not considered a bolt in mod. depending on manufacturing tolerances, some bikes will need to have the frame tube notched about a 1/2" to clear the throttle wheel. I have seen pictures of the car with half of the throttle wheel ground off which helped alleviate the problem.

Well my jury is still out on the Mikuni carb. I haven't been able to get my bike to run correctly with the new carb. I am a busy person with another bike to ride(450x) and this is my loaner/spare bike. I haven't spent enough time to trouble-shoot but this carb (from XR's only) but it seems a little bit short overall and I suspect that I could have an air leak at the intake. But one of my main issues has been obtaining extra jets to "tune this carb", they are difficut to come by and semi expensive. Just adding my 2 cents and expierences so far

Well my jury is still out on the Mikuni carb. I haven't been able to get my bike to run correctly with the new carb. I am a busy person with another bike to ride(450x) and this is my loaner/spare bike. I haven't spent enough time to trouble-shoot but this carb (from XR's only) but it seems a little bit short overall and I suspect that I could have an air leak at the intake. But one of my main issues has been obtaining extra jets to "tune this carb", they are difficut to come by and semi expensive. Just adding my 2 cents and expierences so far

So even spending the $400+ doesn't guarantee plug and play.......

that just sucks.......:thumbsup:

You could use the bsr 42mm carb on even a stock xr4.You need do very little mods to make work.Runs way stronger then the pumper,and cheap.We have taken the pumper off two of our bikes,for the 42mm carb.Dont know if we would sell them at this time.

Can you give more details about what exactly the "BSR 42mm" carb is and where one can be found? Are they off of another particular bike/make/mode/yearl? I would be interestred in checking one out. do they bolt right up or do they require throttle cable changes, mounting issues, etc....? Thank you for any info you can provide.

hello there,

i have had a mikuni on my xr400 for about 2 years, at first i wasnt impressed i had a stage 1 hot cam and revbox cdi and the bike still didnt feel that powerful. after alot of searching i decided to fit a bigger main jet. up to a 130 and re set the pump action! wow what a transformation now the bike is too powerful and breaks traction with the slightest twist of the throttle and constantly wheelies over obsticals.

i will now start to remove some of the other updates to calm the power a bit :-)

regards

phil.