my 2003 YZ250F project

well, i picked up this YZ250F today. this is a picture of after i got it home. i hope the guy remembered all the parts

IMG_2644.jpg

here it is all piled together

IMG_2646.jpg

top end in this box

IMG_2648.jpg

more parts

IMG_2649.jpg

bottom end in this box

IMG_2651.jpg

the exhaust is pretty sweet

IMG_2652.jpg

and thats it for now... the story is it locked up on the guy and he took it apart (i never knew you had to strip the frame to get the motor off :worthy:) and i guess he couldnt figure out how to get it back together or something. he said it needed a new piston. well the cylinder doesnt look bad nor does the piston so i asked him if the rod bearing was ok. he said that he took the bottom end to a shop and they said everything was fine... well i got home and the rod bearing is locked up:banghead: so i need to get a crank assembely, a few other things and itll be good to go!?... the bike is pretty sweet, it has: white bros Titanium full exhaust, Ti valves, Ti bars, blue everywhere, lots of works connection stuff. i will update as i progress:thumbsup::confused:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much did you pay for that back alley abortion, if you don't mind me asking? Looks like a fun project. You get to know your bike and every nut and bolt on it. Like Howard said, keep us posted and take lots of pictures along the way. If you've got questions, we've got opinions and we will tell you whether you want to hear them or not! Ha ha. Have fun!!

Like Howard said, keep us posted and take lots of pictures along the way.

something im not doing :confused: well im taking a lot of pics!but not posting updates.not that i have any major updates right now but in a few weeks i will have some. but i will just share it all in a new thread ?

You paid way to much for a fully disassembled basket case. I just paid $500 for a complete 06 crf250r that just needs a crank.

you see a fully disassembled basket case, i see a beast just waiting to be put together:thumbsup:

you see a fully disassembled basket case, i see a beast just waiting to be put together:thumbsup:

I'm sure you'll do great with it. I only said that because when you buy a bike like that, you just don't know how much your gonna put in it. I hope to see pics. Good luck.

Seems a bit steep but you have a lot of good parts there and price varies from area, time of year, etc.. It always seems when I'm not looking a find the killer deals. My 03 was only 400 but I rebuilt the thing from top to bottom. I'd personally rather buy a basket case then a used newer bike because I'm gonna rip it apart anyway since I don't know the history. Only bikes I buy are new or non-running ones pretty much ? But true, you never know what you're gonna end up putting into it.

small update:

i greased the steering stem bearings and put the front on, put the subframe on, put the shock on, and i just stuck the tank and seat up there to see how it looks.

IMG_2653.jpg

swingarm bearings, linkage bearings, lower shock bearings, and crank and bearings on the way. might go pretty slow because im in the middle of a RMZ rebuild

IMG_2654.jpg

IMG_2655.jpg

Looks like fun, my step-brother has an 03, its a great bike and I really like the motor's power, its given virtually no trouble other than a couple of fork seal jobs. Good luck with the re-build!