Sign in to follow this  

Sorry, another jetting question. Popping on decel

Seems like all the threads on here are about jetting but I searched and found that many people say popping is normal with an open exhaust but mine sounds excessive. I've had dirtbikes/quads before and none have done it this loud. I checked my carb boots and they are on tight. Current setup is:

FMF powerbomb and Titanium 4

stock air filter with 3x3

JD kit (155 main, 25 pilot, 3rd or 4th clip (cant remember) on blue needle)

Is there anything I can adjust to try and get rid of the popping?

Seems like all the threads on here are about jetting but I searched and found that many people say popping is normal with an open exhaust but mine sounds excessive. I've had dirtbikes/quads before and none have done it this loud. I checked my carb boots and they are on tight. Current setup is:

FMF powerbomb and Titanium 4

stock air filter with 3x3

JD kit (155 main, 25 pilot, 3rd or 4th clip (cant remember) on blue needle)

Is there anything I can adjust to try and get rid of the popping?

Try making the idle mixture richer by opening up the idle screw a bit.

From the "Common Thread Reference" thread in the FAQ

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327405

Have you removed the pair valve , It is done to stop most of the popping on deceleration..

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=601726&highlight=pair+valve+drz

Thanks, no I dont have the PAIR removed. I am away at school with the bike so that isn't an option, its hard enough for me to get the carb off with the limited tools I have here. I guess I'll have to wait until I get home to try this.

Well playing with the mixture screw didn't change a thing (2.5-3 turns made no difference in the popping). My next question, I bought my FMF header used with no instructions so I installed it with no RTV so I may try and do that (even though the bike popped with stock header/FMF silencer) but its worth a shot. Do I removed the stock exhaust gasket then if I seal it with RTV?

An exhaust gasket should work fine on its own. I have never heard of anyone using RTV.

Mike :thumbsup::confused:

An exhaust gasket should work fine on its own. I have never heard of anyone using RTV.

Mike :thumbsup::confused:

Okay, for some reason I thought I read somewhere that someone used RTV on the header, but thanks!