Sign in to follow this  

got carried away with the tire change

the only thing i can think that caused this was when i mounted my tire last. sometimes i stand on the wheel with the sprocket side down and pop it off the bead with my feet. i usually try not to be too aggressive but i guess i was in la la land. heres a pic there were 4 complete breaks. not the greatest quality. sprocket is turner ultra light steel.

IMG_20110429_155821.jpg

i guess i need a new sprocket combo.

i know the difference between a scratch and seeing daylight on the other side. the pic sucks I know, just wanted to show that by standing on the wheel that way I ruinned a sprocket. i thought it was tougher than that or i weigh more than I was aware of.

By looking at the picture, it looks like your sprocket was pretty worn already. At least you didn't break a new one! Just shedding positive light on a crappy situation. :thumbsup:

by looking at the picture, it looks like your sprocket was pretty worn already. At least you didn't break a new one! Just shedding positive light on a crappy situation. :thumbsup:

...+1

Ouch, I was told to get an old rim from a junk yard or a 5 gallon bucket, anything to stop the sprocket or rotor from being pushed into the ground when breaking the bead. Works for me so far.

Maybe you need to change your tire changing procedure. I've never stood on a wheel to break the bead.

I just ram a tire spoon in there and pop it loose. Rap the end of the spoon with a hammer if it's particularly stubborn.

As said, lucky thing it wasn't a new sprocket anyway.

that's what I normally do. I had a brain lapse.

I whipped up a combo with the regina orn6 + supersprox. What do you think?

Ahhh, the dreaded brain fart.

Sounds like a good long lasting replacement combo.

Was your chain done already anyways?

Ahhh, the dreaded brain fart.

Sounds like a good long lasting replacement combo.

Was your chain done already anyways?

the only thing that makes since to me is the chain gets stretched and causes wear on the sprockets.