wall thickness of '02 cr 250 frame

Does anyone know where I could find the specifications of the aluminum used on the frame of a 2002 cr250? In particular, I need to know how thick the walls of the main spars are (i.e. .120" or .095" or ?) I'm considering buying one, but it has a couple grooves that appear very deep in the main spars of the frame and I'd like to see how close they are to going all the way through. I know this can be repaired, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I seal the deal.

As you may already know, Wall thickness vary from section to section.

but it may be easier to find a tool & die making shop and use theirs or just buy you one of these:

http://www.defelsko.com/utg/utg-models.htm

and DIY.

If these grooves are from the Radiator shrouds you mite wanna take a close look at the Radiators mine has a groove on the right side and it was caused by a tweaked Radiator pulling the shroud to the frame just a lil heads up:thumbsup:

P.S. Mines an 03 just bought it last weekend.

The grooves are from the radiator shrouds and are on both sides running all the way across both spars horizontally. If I had to guess, I would say the grooves are ~3/32 deep. Radiators look straight and the bike is in overall good condition (except for the stock pipe which is dented enough to justify replacement.)

If I understand it correctly, individual pieces of the frame are different thicknesses, but each individual piece remains constant in wall thickness (with the exception of where bends were made thereby stretching and thinning the material.) If this is true, I should be able to measure thickness at the drain hole on the bottom/insides of the spars as a reference. If I subtract the depth of the groove from that number it should tell me (within a few thousandths) how much material is left before it rubs all the way through. Does this sound logical?

I think you're on the right track. Many of us have shroud rub in this area. One rider here had the rub go completely through, no catastrophic failure though so that may make you feel a little better. I cant recall if he was able to post a measurement, can't seem to find the thread. I bought a spare auction frame just in case.

As you may already know, Wall thickness vary from section to section.

but it may be easier to find a tool & die making shop and use theirs or just buy you one of these:

http://www.defelsko.com/utg/utg-models.htm

and DIY.

The positector costs $1000 thats more than an oem frame

I use a piece of fuel line with a slit along it and run that over the edge of the shroud where it rubs (think door edge molding). This was it is softer that the radiator shroud plastic and causes less wear. It does fall off sometime so you may need to glue it in place

I have some frame rub,previous owner didnt care.I made some frame protectors out of thick rubber and zip tied it to the frame,nothing is rubbing through that rubber and its not noticiable.

well I bought it, so either way, it's my problem now! My 450 had similar rubbing issues where my desert tank would touch, never cause for concern, but it is a little more comforting knowing that it hasn't rubbed 95% of the way through.