Sign in to follow this  

Which is the better Header Pipe for the XR600/650L?

I have a dent in my old stock header pipe and figure I might as well upgrade when I replace it. Which of these two header pipes do you guys like better? (and why?) The Big Gun or the FMF? (for the xr600/650l)

Aussie price too though, don't think these Americans could afford it, i mean look at how much they have to pay for fuel, almost a dollar a litre :thumbsup:

:confused:....poor suckers....

I have an FMF on mine. I had ground out the welds on the flanges of my OEM header and noted that the inlets (and tubes) on my OEM header are actually larger than those on the FMF. I figured therefore that I would notice no performance gain whatsoever. Much to my surprise... the bike does have noticeably more power right were I typically work the motor... in the middle of the powerband.

At the end of the day, I am happy with the FMF.

P4160648.jpg

Thumpnred: How do you like that X2 headlight setup, how does it compare to the stock headlight?

The poser in me loves it! I can actually approach the bike from the front without flinching... the stock white bucket was freakin FUGLY! :thumbsup:

As far as light goes, it is about a wash (it is halogen, not the HID version). I probably could have gotten better light out of the OEM light by upgrading the bulb. My OEM headlight had led a hard life though and needed to be replaced... the lens had a roost hole in it; the bucket was busted up and glued together. It also would not aim for chit as the bracket was also mangled. There is quite a bit more room behind the OEM bucket for the mass of wires and crap than there is with the TrailTech light. Everything barely fits behind my light now. Tight fit. If I rode at night (I avoid it at all cost), I would have explored the HID version, but the extra cash wasn't worth it to me considering it is up there just to keep me in line with "street legal".

I have an FMF on mine. I had ground out the welds on the flanges of my OEM header and noted that the inlets (and tubes) on my OEM header are actually larger than those on the FMF. I figured therefore that I would notice no performance gain whatsoever. Much to my surprise... the bike does have noticeably more power right were I typically work the motor... in the middle of the powerband.

At the end of the day, I am happy with the FMF.

P4160648.jpg

gawd darn ThumpNRed, sweet lookin XR you have there..:thumbsup:

The poser in me loves it! I can actually approach the bike from the front without flinching... the stock white bucket was freakin FUGLY! :thumbsup:

As far as light goes, it is about a wash (it is halogen, not the HID version). I probably could have gotten better light out of the OEM light by upgrading the bulb. My OEM headlight had led a hard life though and needed to be replaced... the lens had a roost hole in it; the bucket was busted up and glued together. It also would not aim for chit as the bracket was also mangled. There is quite a bit more room behind the OEM bucket for the mass of wires and crap than there is with the TrailTech light. Everything barely fits behind my light now. Tight fit. If I rode at night (I avoid it at all cost), I would have explored the HID version, but the extra cash wasn't worth it to me considering it is up there just to keep me in line with "street legal".

If you went night ridin with me sometime..........you`d turn into a night owl and never go back:smirk: big fun,,ask Dave,we hada blast:thumbsup: cops not arround at night:moon:

B

If you went night ridin with me sometime..........you`d turn into a night owl and never go back:smirk: big fun,,ask Dave,we hada blast:thumbsup: cops not arround at night:moon:

B

Poo-Poo at the donut shop at night.:thumbsup:

The poser in me loves it! I can actually approach the bike from the front without flinching... the stock white bucket was freakin FUGLY! :worthy:

Good to know thanks. My front end took a hard hit awhile back and the speedo and light is barely holdin on with zip ties I cant aim my light either so I try to ride day only. Recently I left the trail late and rode right into a ditch thinkin it was a driveway right in front of a parked state trooper NO JOKE :confused: tinted goggles probably didnt help either! One day ill get me some usd forks and do somethin like you did :thumbsup:, I really dont like the way the stock forks on my L handle they are kinda like a pogo stick:smirk:

Recently I left the trail late and rode right into a ditch thinkin it was a driveway right in front of a parked state trooper NO JOKE :thumbsup: tinted goggles probably didnt help either!

Now THAT is a story! :confused: That's the kind of stuff that legends are made of. :worthy:

I've seen a couple of Big Gun exhausts and they were total crap IMO, just cheap flimsy crap.

Don't know if their headers are any better but I'd be skeptical.

Bigger tubes doesn't automatically mean better performance.

Usually improves top end at the cost off the bottom.

The FMF is designed to compliment mid range.

What's the point in upping top end power on an XR?

Spend much time revving a XR max out? :thumbsup:

Big gun exhausts are total garbage. Seen multiple ones fall apart or crack, FMF is a much better built exhaust. 4Stroke works which used to be Stroker racing that was run/owned by larry roeseler makes some real nice header/mufflers as well. Not sure if there still in business but I think they are.

http://www.fourstrokeworks.biz/

Aussie price too though, don't think these Americans could afford it, i mean look at how much they have to pay for fuel, almost a dollar a litre :thumbsup:

Ditto. But it does look really nice and I bet it is tuned perfectly.

Poo-Poo at the donut shop at night.:confused:

Buncha old fart hooligans out tearing up the town... I'M IN!!!!:thumbsup:

I just use an XL600R header pipe. It has bigger primarys and was a good boost in power.

I just use an XL600R header pipe. It has bigger primarys and was a good boost in power.

No kidding? The xr600r header is different than the xr650l header? I guess they could have toned it down on the L to get the required emmissions... Is that why?

No kidding? The xr600r header is different than the xr650l header? I guess they could have toned it down on the L to get the required emmissions... Is that why?

The Header you want is from a '83-87 XR600R:thumbsup:

Both the XR600R and the XR650L use the small primary header pipes.

The XL600R header pipe has 1/8" larger primary tubes. The XL600R's heads also have larger ports.

This is why I'm swapped a '85 XL600R header onto my '94 XR650L.

Next I will be swapping ported XL600R dual carb head onto my XR650L.

I'm probably going to use a true dual exhaust from a '85 Husky 510XC thumper iI have which uses head pipes that are 3/16ths larger then the XL600R primarys are. The head will be ported to match. The mufflers are each about 18" long with a 1.25" inner diameter and have removable spark arresters. I will be relocating the battery and losing the box for the exhaust to run on both sides. I haven't decided if I want to add a crossover pipe also.

I have 2 - XL600R header pipes and a XR650L header pipe. I try to get a picture or two later comparing them and get them posted.

:confused: