Antigravity Batteries Product Giveaways - ENTER NOW! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Keep maxed out 09 Beta 525 RS or upgrade to 2011 Beta 450-520?

Ok I'll just put this up here just for fun. A riding buddy just got a 2010 520 rr made street legal and it got me thinking a little...so I just wondered what you all think? I have a 525 09' Beta RS that has just about everything set up with all the mods except maybe a suspension revalve. The bike is awesome. It works great and I love riding it.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vid=19084

Here's my bike stock except for handguards:

http://www.youtube.com/user/woodsrider117?feature=mhum#p/u/0/CjoMGAlIDYw

..and black with most of current mods on (117):

....but the newest generation of Beta looks pretty awesome. I haven't ridden my buddies yet but for sure will relatively soon. The newest Beta's are all new and seem to be pretty reliable so far. There's supposedly more power on top maybe not as much low end but pretty close to the rfs engine. The handling is supposed to be better and the idiosyncrasies upgraded and dealt with like a push button take off seat and grab handles built in the rear of the bike. Common sense says just keep my bike since it is finally pretty much done except for a couple of things. I got everything that I need and more on the bike( of course nothings ever enough). So what would you guys do? Keep the bike or go for door number 2 and get a brand new 2011? or 2012 for that matter... I usually live beneath my means and don't splurge much. My weak rationale for getting the new Beta would be that I am getting a retirement present for myself as I probably will leave my current job after 26 yrs. That is pretty weak considering I have a great 4t street legal Beta and a fully modded 01' 2t cr 250 as it is... I really am not too crazy on getting the new bike but it's starting to take a small foothold in my brain... just entertaining thoughts on what if..

Of course this isn't about logic. It's about what you would do. I have at least 4 contemporaries that have bit the dust from cancer and other horrible ends within the past year. ..and have been lucky enough to survive a couple of heart problems since 07. I have been a little bit more open to spoiling myself as events such as these make you question otherwise conservative behavior... SOOOO for the fun of it... What would you do? Blow more money for a new bike or keep what I got and wait a little longer and enjoy my already great set up bike? :thumbsup::worthy:

No matter what I feel like a lucky man..

New style Beta's:

:busted::ride::smirk::ride::confused:

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Think long and hard about giving up the KTM RFS engine for a new design that hasn't been completely time tested yet.

Think long and hard about giving up the KTM RFS engine for a new design that hasn't been completely time tested yet.

Yup. That's one of the original reasons for getting my 09 too.. I'm not serious yet. I'm not even sure I would give up my rfs 09 anyway....especially with it being street legal. I was kind of planning on keeping it. I'll probably end up like kenaroo with a little flock of Beta's. I see lots of gasgas guys get attached and cant get rid of their older bikes. Crazy isn't it this motorcycle addiction...:confused::smirk::worthy:

Thanks for all the responses guys... so far you all are mirroring my feelings so far..:thumbsup:

Mate keep the 525 for trail rides & get a 350-400 for the extreme tight stuff, OOppss you already have a 250 smoker for the tight extreme stuff. Well i would still own all 3 hahahah. You can never have too many bikes, :confused:.

At the moment i have a, `00' DR650, `03' KTM950, `08' CRF450R & `09' 525RR but i still want a Beta 400 for enduro racing as well, :worthy:. As i said you can't have enough bikes, :busted:.

A lad on DirtBikeWorld here in OZ just bought a `2011' Beta 400RR `Factory Replica' with all the friut. Hopefully he puts up a story about it.:thumbsup:

Mate keep the 525 for trail rides & get a 350-400 for the extreme tight stuff, OOppss you already have a 250 smoker for the tight extreme stuff. Well i would still own all 3 hahahah. You can never have too many bikes, :confused:.

At the moment i have a, `00' DR650, `03' KTM950, `08' CRF450R & `09' 525RR but i still want a Beta 400 for enduro racing as well, :worthy:. As i said you can't have enough bikes, :busted:.

A lad on DirtBikeWorld here in OZ just bought a `2011' Beta 400RR `Factory Replica' with all the friut. Hopefully he puts up a story about it.:thumbsup:

I guess my questions coming up is because my dealer has a single 2011 450 rr coming in around a month if I'm not mistaken. I saw a 2011 400 rs that went to a guy on Kauai and that is a sweet bike. I also do wonder how much of an upgrade a new 450rr will be in comparison to my 09 525. Of course a key will be me riding my buddies 520 to see the handling difference. I'm not sure what the power difference would be. I am guessing that the 525 rfs motor has more down low than the 520 Beta. It would probably have to be less for me going from the 525 to the beta 450... But of course it's hard to tell. Right now I don't feel like I have any disadvantage riding the 525 in hardcore trails except when I have to carry the bike. If I am riding the bike is easy to ride and very nimble. The difference has to be relatively significant as far as handling. I know I will blink my eyes and add $1000 in mods to make it "right". Hand guards, disc guards, front and back,radiator fan, radiator guards, pipe guard, larger bigger skidplate, gutz soft seat,..clutch guard and gearing changes...Ok ...some suspension work maybe at least springs ..... ..ok maybe more that $1000. All I have to do really is look how much I have spent on my 525. I should be close to that in how much added to the original price of buying. Suddenly after the tally the lure is somewhat diminished.

HDR,

How about this. Do your spring/revalving on the '09 now to hold yourself over for a year or so, try it and and see how it goes. You could give the new version the first year to see if they come out with another tweak here or there, maybe even a suspension benefit to your favor. If you sell the '09 later, there is at least some value to the next buyer if you already have it done, and you can enjoy it for a bit longer. Since I did my susp for my weight and got the exhaust and jetting matchup closer, the bike is just a blast to ride. It was fun before, but man I really enjoy it now. Getting the susp done was the best mod of all if its not matched to your weight and setup stock. Also, I like how the RR tail light and euro blinder mod turned out on mine, it feels and looks like an RR from the back now too. Just a thought for a cheap mod.

And for more power, if that's what you want, I rode with Chas_M yesterday and we were dicing it up back and forth on some trails, I was behind him when he mildly goosed it a few times with that 565cc kit on there, man that bike can sling some boulders without even trying. He could lug it along in say 3rd and just roll on the power and it seemed effortless up the hills. My 450 with jetting and exhaust did not do too bad as well, and I like to wind it up a bit and it has plenty of power now that its dialed in. Good Luck.

HDR,

How about this. Do your spring/revalving on the '09 now to hold yourself over for a year or so, try it and and see how it goes. You could give the new version the first year to see if they come out with another tweak here or there, maybe even a suspension benefit to your favor. If you sell the '09 later, there is at least some value to the next buyer if you already have it done, and you can enjoy it for a bit longer. Since I did my susp for my weight and got the exhaust and jetting matchup closer, the bike is just a blast to ride. It was fun before, but man I really enjoy it now. Getting the susp done was the best mod of all if its not matched to your weight and setup stock. Also, I like how the RR tail light and euro blinder mod turned out on mine, it feels and looks like an RR from the back now too. Just a thought for a cheap mod.

And for more power, if that's what you want, I rode with Chas_M yesterday and we were dicing it up back and forth on some trails, I was behind him when he mildly goosed it a few times with that 565cc kit on there, man that bike can sling some boulders without even trying. He could lug it along in say 3rd and just roll on the power and it seemed effortless up the hills. My 450 with jetting and exhaust did not do too bad as well, and I like to wind it up a bit and it has plenty of power now that its dialed in. Good Luck.

Funny I did put the rr tail light and it does look a bit better. I wanted to ride until I broke off the turn signals on the dot rear tail light set up and it took awhile but I finally did.

Thanks to you and all . It's quite entertaining to get other peoples view on this. You're points are well taken. Actually I am most inclined to just keep my bike and finish it with the full suspension set up and what ever else that I can figure that will work best as far as mods. For where I ride more power is not needed... more aggressive power is actually a loser and the reason I got the Beta was for how the bike's motor and chassis works pretty much as is. I have to watch or I'll get a fire breathing dragon like chasmanian had in his ktm 525 exc that he had totally fixed up. If I was riding open stuff it would be a different story .

I rode today with some friends out at our riding park in Kahuku and it was perfect. The conditions were awesome and it was a gorgeous day. I even got to see Torture and Yamafreek and a few other vet trail riders there. I didn't see them for a while and it was nice to see. We rode our regular tight technical single track mixed with some more clearer single track on well worn trails. I got to ride my friends 520rr for a very short stint on the way back to the truck for a break. The new 520 feels very good . It is nimble , quick turning and super easy to ride. It's very balanced..... I was thinking what was the difference between his bike and mine and I noticed that his forks were higher up in the triple clamp by about a half inch more than mine. I matched the fork height on my bike and my bike felt a lot better. ....quicker turning a little lower... etc. I didn't notice much difference in the power like I expected. The 520 is very torquey much like the 525rr is. Now I am thinking if I upgrade it will have to be a 520 if I do that. I can't see going down to a 400 or a 450. Both the 520 and the 525 are awesome in the tight stuff. I don't feel any disadvantage at all from what I have experienced in going big bore compared to little bore. I can't explain how the newer Beta's are. The best is to say it's like a mix between the new ktm 4t's and my 09 Beta if that makes sense. I only rode for a little while anyway. After I changed my fork height I wanted to trade bikes with my friend to ride his 520 to compare again but he was just loving his bike so much he didn't want to give it up. That's ok my bike ran much better with such a tiny adjustment. Now I am not feeling so much like I need to make the newer upgrade. There is an improvement but it isnt as much as I expected....and it makes me think I just have to pay attention to my adjustment on my suspension and start experimenting and logging down settings etc. First of all it's free and my bike feels pretty awesome. I kept thinking how easy it was to ride the thing all day. I want to ride now and I rode for around 6 hrs... I had fun. I still wont make a call on how much better the 520 is. I think it's a little better but I really didn't have enough time to make a judgement on it. As of right now I am leaning on just keeping my bike...I think even if I do upgrade I will not get rid of my 09' Beta . :thumbsup:

I'll just drop in some of yamafreeks and Tortures vids at our Kahuku riding park so you see some of what we rode today.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969072&highlight=yamafreek

Thanks torture and yamafreek for sharing your videos!!

Aloha HDR....

After 2 years, we have not heard anything bad about the new motors, so thats a good sign.

I've been mulling this same thing over and over for the last year.

I think I would have bought a 2011 RS model if it was a true 2011 - the not a 2010 model with lights.

I'm going to wait and see what 2012 brings us.

At that point, I may pull the trigger.

I will be doing it at some point. This fall may be it. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

HDR:

get the new 2011.. I was one of the first guinea pigs on FSR motor..

time for you to take the lead and let us know what you find..

Ride on !!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111

• Like 1

Get the new one and keep the 09!

There's that slightly used 2010 450 rr with powdercoated red newer frame with the new plastic and red white and blue race graphics . I think the owner is looking at getting a street legal newer model. I have 2 bikes already so more isn't practical but just seeing the bike there is tempting... :smashpc:

There's that slightly used 2010 450 rr with powdercoated red newer frame with the new plastic and red white and blue race graphics . I think the owner is looking at getting a street legal newer model. I have 2 bikes already so more isn't practical but just seeing the bike there is tempting... :thumbsup:

Practical.....no, but fun....YES.

Talking to you on here a while back as well as some of the other Beta owners ALMOST got me to buy one. Infact, the only thing that kept me from doing it was that I found a new 2010 Husaberg FE450 for under $7K out the door.

Point is, we do only live once and part of making life worth living is being happy and pursuing what makes you happy. Moto and off road nuts are a different breed. Our love is expensive but it's outta this world (at least to us). If getting a new bike makes you happy and if you can afford to do it,...well..... the question is really already answered! Don't you think?

I have three awesome bikes in my garage now (plus a kick in the butt play bike so that makes 4). Granted I have not ridden the others since I have been getting my Berg dialed in but just the same, I don't plan on getting rid of any of them (at least not any time soon). There kinda like having kids.....they can be a real pain in the ass, taking more and more money....but in the end, you love them to death, they make life great and you just want more!

PS..... My young one just asked me at the ripe old age of 3 when she get's to have a new dirt bike.... Seriously brought a tear to my freakin' eye! Another one that's gonna come up in the sport....:smashpc:

Awesome... simply Awesome!!! It's nice to know there are more sick motorcycle lovers out there!!!!!:busted::smashpc::lol:

Practical.....no, but fun....YES.

Talking to you on here a while back as well as some of the other Beta owners ALMOST got me to buy one. Infact, the only thing that kept me from doing it was that I found a new 2010 Husaberg FE450 for under $7K out the door.

Point is, we do only live once and part of making life worth living is being happy and pursuing what makes you happy. Moto and off road nuts are a different breed. Our love is expensive but it's outta this world (at least to us). If getting a new bike makes you happy and if you can afford to do it,...well..... the question is really already answered! Don't you think?

I have three awesome bikes in my garage now (plus a kick in the butt play bike so that makes 4). Granted I have not ridden the others since I have been getting my Berg dialed in but just the same, I don't plan on getting rid of any of them (at least not any time soon). There kinda like having kids.....they can be a real pain in the ass, taking more and more money....but in the end, you love them to death, they make life great and you just want more!

PS..... My young one just asked me at the ripe old age of 3 when she get's to have a new dirt bike.... Seriously brought a tear to my freakin' eye! Another one that's gonna come up in the sport....:thumbsup:

Your gonna retire, you've got health problems. How long do you really think your gonna be blazin trails for? You've been working your azz off your whole life. You dont have other hobbies like

golf

guns

flying airplanes

muscle cars

skydiving

etc!!!

all which require big bucks.

So the answer is this =

sideview.jpg

:smashpc:

That's what I would do!

But I had to pull teeth to get get my 2010 RR. 2 kids in braces, etc!!!:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Your gonna retire, you've got health problems. How long do you really think your gonna be blazin trails for? You've been working your azz off your whole life. You dont have other hobbies like

golf

guns

flying airplanes

muscle cars

skydiving

etc!!!

all which require big bucks.

So the answer is this =

sideview.jpg

:thumbsup:

That's what I would do!

But I had to pull teeth to get get my 2010 RR. 2 kids in braces, etc!!!:lol:

yup you guys are no help!!!!!! ..but see that bike looks quite similar to the 2010 450 Beta that I've seen at my dealer the last couple of times I've been there. For trivia's sake it was the bike used to win the last Maunakea 200 race on the Big Island. It has those same graphics which look pretty damn nice... and I'm not a red white and blue graphics kind a guy..... I just bought my wife an ipad 2. I just bought a takamine cutaway acoustic guitar and my trans in my van is going and my air con is dead.... Where's my priorities? The Beta is better right!!!:lol::lol::lol::smashpc::busted: