bike won't stay running

I'm no mechanic and am fairly new to bikes so please bear with me. I am going to give you the whole story of how I got into this predicament.

Problems all started with a gummed up throttle mechanism. I took it apart on the bars and found a bunch of sand and dirt in there. I cleaned it all up, ran some oil down into the cables and sprayed some white lithium grease in housing to help it rotate smoothly. I finally got it working smoothly but then I killed that battery trying to start it up without success. I guess I flooded the motor twisting the throttle back and forth so much. Tried jumping the battery with the charger with no luck. I then pulled the spark plug overnight to let the fuel evaporate. Next day got it put back together, battery all charged up and now just a click when I hit the start button. Narrowed it down to a fried starter. One of the brushes broke but the armature got fried also (maybe my mistake with too much current trying to jump start it). Ordered a new starter but I have a big ride coming up and it wont be here in time so I put the old one back in and figure I will just kick it for the ride. So, I finally got through all of this and I give it a kick start. It starts fairly easy but now will not stay running. Here's where I am at a loss. It doesn't want to idle but it will stay running if you give it a little throttle. I can't find any hoses loose and nothing changed with the idle screw or the air mixture screw.

Anyone have any ideas where I should be looking. The bike had been running perfect previous to this mess.

Thanks

You probably have a clogged pilot jet.

Have you re-jetted the carb from stock? Fuel screw change? Need to do that.

Hopefully you did not send any SOLVENTS down the throttle cables, as all that liquid ends up inside the carb, and will damage rubber components.

Pull the float bowl, and replace the pilot jet. Adjust fuel screw.

Hopefully you did not send any SOLVENTS down the throttle cables, as all that liquid ends up inside the carb, and will damage rubber components.

:thumbsup:

Great, that will be my next step then. I put a little bit of TRI-FLOW oil down the cables but I don't think that will hurt anything.

I bought the bike 2 months ago used and it has a JD jet kit and a works connection fuel screw. Not sure what jet is in there but I will find out soon enough. I will let you guys know what the outcome is. Thanks for the help.

I think I might have got it running. Pulled all the jets and cleaned it well. Put it back together and it took some work but got it started and rode it around the neighborhood a bit.

As long as it starts again tomorrow I think I'm OK!:thumbsup: