Need help pricing a 2004 CRF250R

The bike is from a neighbor. A trusted source. Well taken care of and not a big amount of hours. What would be a good price in this market to offer him. Any help is much appreciated.

Edited by dolfinfan

What is the freshness of the engine? A bike ready to run with mid time valves and piston is worth $1900.

What is the freshness of the engine? A bike ready to run with mid time valves and piston is worth $1900.

Not sure what you mean, but its been sitting for a few years.

CRR?

CRFR?

Accessories?

Inside/outside storage?

Last time started?

CRR?

CRFR?

Accessories?

Inside/outside storage?

Last time started?

CRF250R

Inside for a couple years and outside the last 1 or 2. Started maybe last year I think. I will ask him at some point.

Accessories, I would say none really. prob some carb work but I would say it may need some tuning. Alll and all I would say its stock.

Edited by dolfinfan
crf250r

inside for a couple years and outside the last 1 or 2. Started maybe last year i think. I will ask him at some point.

Accessories, i would say none really. Prob some carb work but i would say it may need some tuning. Alll and all i would say its stock.

$950.00

$950.00

Thanks Krannie.

$950.00

So I talked to him again and it was running about 5-6 months ago. Its been well taken care of. Seem that main issue with it will be Cali gas sitting in the tank. The carb has been stored somewhat dry so it should not be horrible inside. I think he would take 1,400. What do you think. Shocks are rebuilt with few hours on them as well.

So I talked to him again and it was running about 5-6 months ago. Its been well taken care of. Seem that main issue with it will be Cali gas sitting in the tank. The carb has been stored somewhat dry so it should not be horrible inside. I think he would take 1,400. What do you think. Shocks are rebuilt with few hours on them as well.

It all depends on how bad the environment it was stored in, effected the bike.

It only takes a few months outside, ever covered up well, to destroy chains, discs, fork tubes, cylinder, carb corrosion, etc, etc.

It all depends on how bad the environment it was stored in, effected the bike.

It only takes a few months outside, ever covered up well, to destroy chains, discs, fork tubes, cylinder, carb corrosion, etc, etc.

Ok, I will be looking it over tomorrow afternoon. We will see. Thanks.

Krannie, also I wanted to be sure this was not the year that they had valve issues. I heard there a was a bad year for valves? What do you know about that?

Valve issues is a misleading term. All four strokes with many hours on them will need to have SS valves put in at some point, and then the problem is non-existent. The bike either has had it done already, or will in the future. There is no short cut around it.

If a bike doesn't run well at the time of sale, it isn't worth much. A lazy owner who doesn't want to get it running right prior to sale is costing himself a lot of $$.

Krannie, also I wanted to be sure this was not the year that they had valve issues. I heard there a was a bad year for valves? What do you know about that?

Honda intake valves are more 'delicate' than say Yamaha intake valves. The issues was bad heat transfer off the seat, which over heated the valve's head. Add in a little contaminated air to further damage the seats, and you had a recipe for valve cupping. Most riders never have a problem. Riders who treat there bike like a two stroke, or an XR, do. Aircleaners have to be pristine, edges greased, and you have to stay off the rev limiter.

If the owner of the bike neglected the motor by making bad decisions (which he must have, if he though leaving outside was an good option), then the chances that the motor is 'ready to go', are very slim.

Honda intake valves are more 'delicate' than say Yamaha intake valves. The issues was bad heat transfer off the seat, which over heated the valve's head. Add in a little contaminated air to further damage the seats, and you had a recipe for valve cupping. Most riders never have a problem. Riders who treat there bike like a two stroke, or an XR, do. Aircleaners have to be pristine, edges greased, and you have to stay off the rev limiter.

If the owner of the bike neglected the motor by making bad decisions (which he must have, if he though leaving outside was an good option), then the chances that the motor is 'ready to go', are very slim.

Yeah, I think it was only outside for maybe 6 months or so. The chain had a little bit of rust signs on it but other than that it all looked good. He let me take it home today to clean the carb and check it out to get it running. Got the carb cleaned enough to get it started. It wont stay started, but once its hot, one kick starts. And it started to idle better in the end but for sure its fuel starved and the carb needs more work.

If I buy it of course I will have my son tear it down again and do a real good job on it plus I will replace many of the jets and other parts.

Now what do you think of a price I should offer him. The rear tire will need to be replaced soon and the air filter was toast, could be recouped but I wouldnt want to. The only item of concern for me was sand everywhere. It was in the air box but as far as I could tell, not in the carb or past the carb. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Maybe MY calibration is off from yours, but any bike left outside has NOT been well taken care of.

Maybe MY calibration is off from yours, but any bike left outside has NOT been well taken care of.

Oh I agree with you 100%. I just mean that it fortunately does not show the signs I have seen on other bikes that were covered outside. I dont think it was very well taken care of. Now it was also ridden by an older neighbor who did not ride it hard. I have been reading more and more threads about the 04 250R or any early year 250R is asking for for a lot of repair needs.

Well guys, I bought the bike. Looks like I got a good deal. It does not have a lot of hours on it, and it just need to have the carb cleaned out real good and lubed up everywhere. May end up replacing some jets. But for 1100 I would says its a great deal.

Well guys, I bought the bike. Looks like I got a good deal. It does not have a lot of hours on it, and it just need to have the carb cleaned out real good and lubed up everywhere. May end up replacing some jets. But for 1100 I would says its a great deal.

:thumbsup::worthy::confused::worthy::worthy:

If you run into any more deals like that, PM ME!

:thumbsup::worthy::confused::worthy::worthy:

If you run into any more deals like that, PM ME!

You got it man. Thanks for the help. Was glad to see it was all best case scenario instead of worst.

So where's the pics ! Lets see her !