Sign in to follow this  

Used DR650 purchase concerns

I checked out a 2006 DR650 for sale today. I am concerned with the corrosion around the rear axle and wheel, the rusty chain, and the 1/4 inch long scratch through the paint in the dent on the tank. The guy is asking $3500. Any thoughts/comments welcome. Thanks. One more thing, the side plastic "went flying off on the highway" - see the pic where the plastic is missing. Supposedly $130 or so to replace. Thanks again for advice.

IMG_1922.jpg

SuzukiDR650-5.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

Edited by dcdave
added text and photo

That's way too much $$ for that year/condition. I'd give it a good inspection and if it runs good and those are the only problems, give an offer much lower. The corrosion is similar to what I have on mine due to road salt. It's just cosmetic, but you can use that as an excuse to try to grind down the price. Check the brake calipers, they may have the same corrosion.

Way too much. :thumbsup: For $1,000 more you can get a new one! Not sure if its still running but they were giving manaufacturer's rebates of $1,000 on 09 DRs. A buddy of mine got a new 09 back in February from a dealer for around $3,500 with the rebate plus tax.

Seems pricey, got my '06 last August for $2500, 1900 miles, virtually mint.

There asking way to much. Keep looking and something will come along.

I just bought a 2002 (yellow) in showroom condition with 1923 miles for $2000.

It included new tires, battery, billet rack, battery charger and a Gel Seat (the rack and seat were still in the boxes).

I just bought a 2002 (yellow) in showroom condition with 1923 miles for $2000.

It included new tires, battery, billet rack, battery charger and a Gel Seat (the rack and seat were still in the boxes).

Congratulations K2DR650SE on your purchase:thumbsup:, and welcome to ThumperTalk

That's serious corrosion, possibly salt-water. I'll bet there is other hidden corrosion, like wheel bearings and suspension linkage. Pass this one up.

You didn't say how many miles are on the bike but for the condition stated it is overpriced. Salt damage will pit the metal. It's likely the spokes are pitted and some of the spoke nipples are most likely seized too. Also missing is the plastic insulator cap for the starter solenoid which is mounted in rubber. If that positive cable contacts the frame and shorts out, at the very least the positive cable will melt down.

Tech25

Thanks all - looks like I'll pass on this one.

If, and only if, you're still somewhat interested/curious in the bike, as a fix-er-up-er and it's low miles and you're somewhat mechanically inclined, offer a low ball CASH amount (+/-$750????) because of it's condition. Make sure the owner has your name & number and tell him/her your cash offer stands for a week or 2. I've gotten calls back from both individuals and dealers, after they've thought about my cash offer a bit.