turning weird/tire help

earlier this week i picked up a screw in my rear tire. the noob i am, i read tubeless tire on the side of the stocker and try to plug it:bonk:. didn't work, air coming out of spokes, had a friend helping me and suggested messing with the spoke nipples to make it stop. twisted on them a time or two, still leaking. i give up figuring that there's a tube in there.

i take the tire to a shop to have it repaired. they put a new tube in it. i put the tire back on and ride. feels ok riding straight. leaned turns feel lazy, and almost like i'm making the bike turn when it wasn't that way before. kind of standing me back up in a turn. i tuned up the axle blocks a bit figuring maybe it was just a tad off. after that it felt a little better but still not quite right.

now, i'm trying to find out what i'm doing wrong here. maybe i messed up the spokes and the tire just feels weird while turning. or maybe my aligning skills suck. or maybe tire pressure is off with the new tube(@29psi, the shop gave it back to me @45psi). i'd really appreciate any help.

-nathan

earlier this week i picked up a screw in my rear tire. the noob i am, i read tubeless tire on the side of the stocker and try to plug it:bonk:. didn't work, air coming out of spokes, had a friend helping me and suggested messing with the spoke nipples to make it stop. twisted on them a time or two, still leaking. i give up figuring that there's a tube in there.

i take the tire to a shop to have it repaired. they put a new tube in it. i put the tire back on and ride. feels ok riding straight. leaned turns feel lazy, and almost like i'm making the bike turn when it wasn't that way before. kind of standing me back up in a turn. i tuned up the axle blocks a bit figuring maybe it was just a tad off. after that it felt a little better but still not quite right.

now, i'm trying to find out what i'm doing wrong here. maybe i messed up the spokes and the tire just feels weird while turning. or maybe my aligning skills suck. or maybe tire pressure is off with the new tube(@29psi, the shop gave it back to me @45psi). i'd really appreciate any help.

-nathan

I assume you have a SM and that you have adjuster blocks not snail cams for chain adjustment.

You shouldn't have needed to adjust your chain if it was right previously, just push the wheel so the blocks were hard up against the adjusters, then tighten the axle.

Did you fit all the spacers when you fitted the wheel?

I would think that 29psi would be fine for a bike the weight of a DRZ, all depending on the type of riding your doing, tyre pressure is very subjective.

When you tightened up the spokes, did you inadvertently take the wheel out of true?

Spin the wheel and see if it runs straight or if it wobbles, if it does that might be part of your problem.

There is also the chance you have the chain to tight now and restricting the swing arm travel and adding to your handling woes.

yeah its an SM with blocks. i had to run the adjuster bolts in so i could get the tire off the chain to repair the tire. and both spacers are in on both sides of the wheel. the spokes are something i'm not real sure about. but wouldn't i feel the spokes being out even in a straight line, and not just in turns?

So you were messing with the spokes, did you put them back to the same tension they were before? The spokes aren't just "tightened" into the hoop, they need to exact right amount of tension to "pull" the hoop inside towards the hub.

If you only tweaked a few...adjust them back until they all make the same "ting" when tapped with an 8mm wrench. If you adjusted them all and went crazy with it I'd research truing your wheel.

i had to run the adjuster bolts in so i could get the tire off the chain to repair the tire.

When you pull the axle out, the wheel goes forward and you slip the chain off the side.

mephistophiles: i only tweaked a few. theres one thats giving me a fit to adjust back to where it was. but they all make a similar "ting"

thumpin: i feel really retarded now. that should have been obvious to me.:thumbsup:

mephistophiles: i only tweaked a few. theres one thats giving me a fit to adjust back to where it was. but they all make a similar "ting"

thumpin: i feel really retarded now. that should have been obvious to me.:thumbsup:

It's all a learning curve Mate, things that some of us have done a 1000 times and take for granted are all new to people like your self.

The lesson here is too learn from your mistake:thumbsup:

Sounds like you were used to one tire pressure, and now with a way different pressure it changed the "feel" a lot. Go up and down by a few psi's at a time and see if you can't get it back to leaning like it did before.

Like Meph said, double check the wheel & make sure it is not wobbling due to de-tuned spokes. Just put it up on a stand & have someone roll in 1st at a slow speed while looking at the tire from the rear. If it isin't true you should be able to see it wobbling.

Air pressure makes a huge difference. If you are really in tune with your bike you can feel the diff in a couple of psi. You will learn to use this as an adjustment to get the feel you want. I would start by setting both tires to whatever the book calls for.

thanks for the advise dudes. got it resolved. ended up being how the tire was aligned. and possibly tire pressure.