please help with flywheel

I cannot get the flywheel off. I have the proper puller too. It is on so tight that the puller actually stripped the threads on the flywheel. The bit comes right off but the flywheel won't budge. I don't want to mess up the crank rod tip.

Maybe try some heat and tapping.

Ive never removed a flywheel myself but if you arent sure if your doing it right send me a PM and I have a set of "certain directions" I can email to you

Don't be afraid to hit the center puller bolt with a BIG hammer. It won't hurt anything and tends to jar it loose. There;'s ever so much slop in the puller threads and this one or two thousandths clearance allows the screw to move a bit. That's been my method for years and years of using pullers.

A pneumatic impact helps as well.

Another option is to use a hammer impact, that gets the twist along with the hit.

Are you sure the flywheel puller is for your specific bike? and are you are using the puller correctly ?

I just pulled the flywheel off of my 02, 450R and it popped right off.

If the puller is being used correctly, it will pop off without much pressure.

Put cap on end of crank, thread body on to crank threads, thread bolt into puller, use a wrench to hold puller body and one to turn the center bolt.

Should not take much effort at all.

Well I just changed the fly wheel on my friends 250x and he brought his own puller. When I put it on the end of his crank I noticed the part you screw on the end of the crank for his after market puller is a lot different than the factory one. On his the crank protector is a big nut looking thing that you could screw all the way onto the crank untill it was against the fly wheel. THERE IS NO WAY IF YOU DID THAT THE FLY WHEEL COULD COME OFF BECAUSE IT WOULD BE HELD ON WITH THE END PROTECTOR NUT.

This site drives me crazy. Check and see if that is what happened to you. If the fly wheel is stripped and not the puller you may need to go to a auto style puller and use the crank protector on the end of the crank but not screwed all the way on.

Yes the cap is too big to let it slide off, and it ALMOST touches the larger threaded section of the crank end.

All the puller does is break the initial tension, it moves maybe 1mm then you take the puller off and slide the flywheel off.

Once you bring the center bolt down snug onto the end cap (dont bottom the end cap out ) you should not need to turn your wrench more that 1/4-1/2 turn, if so something is not right.

It is a tapered end with a key not a splined shaft.

Not rocket science guys.

Edited by Dust_Devil
Yes the cap is too big to let it slide off, and it ALMOST touches the larger threaded section of the crank end.

All the puller does is break the initial tension, it moves maybe 1mm then you take the puller off and slide the flywheel off.

Once you bring the center bolt down snug onto the end cap (dont bottom the end cap out ) you should not need to turn your wrench more that 1/4-1/2 turn, if so something is not right.

It is a tapered end with a key not a splined shaft.

Not rocket science guys.

It did touch on the 250. I agree with the rest of your post.