Sign in to follow this  

Drain bolt stripped

So pretty much ive stripped my crank case twice,

The shop told me that they can ethier pull it apart and weld it back up and re drill it at a 10mm...

or toss in a 14mm

my issues are i dont want to pay $1400 for a weld job. I just cant afford it.

So heres my options

A) 14mm

:thumbsup: helicoil

C) timesert

D) expandable rubber plug

What are your opinions on these?

They told me that they cant put a helicoil in... im not sure why but thats what they said.

I've had a couple of bikes whose oil drains were stripped by the previous owners. On these, I was able to tap it with a 1/4" NPT pipe tap and put a pipe plug in it. The size of the stripped hole was just right so I didn't need to drill. Coat the tap with grease so that the chips stick in the grease. It's simple and cheap.

the threads are actually a sleeve that you can replace..you can put the bolt in the first coiple threads and get a pry bar or something to pry the the sleeve out using the bolt and replace the sleeve and have brand new threads

the threads are actually a sleeve that you can replace..you can put the bolt in the first coiple threads and get a pry bar or something to pry the the sleeve out using the bolt and replace the sleeve and have brand new threads

Really? Why do people even drill new holes than

I've had a couple of bikes whose oil drains were stripped by the previous owners. On these, I was able to tap it with a 1/4" NPT pipe tap and put a pipe plug in it. The size of the stripped hole was just right so I didn't need to drill. Coat the tap with grease so that the chips stick in the grease. It's simple and cheap.

Have any pictures?

Don't trust rubber plugs. Had a a few fall out of my old Suzuki and unkowingly lost all my oil.

My 07 also had the same issue.. Anything I tried, she still leaked bits of oil.. I ended up just getting rid of it,, Might be just our luck because we're from BC..

Haha, goodluck