Sign in to follow this  

Note to self (building an obstacle course)....

....6-8' logs need to be dug in or pinned to the ground somehow....cause they roll when you hit 'em with the front wheel. Ooooops!

Also, two tires placed flat on the ground move when you hit 'em. Maybe when I add 5 more, they will keep each other in place. Otherwise, I'll have to stake 'em down somehow.

The zigzag course through my pine stand (tree's are 5-6' apart) is really, really tight. I was using two rows of trees and doing every three even at that! Maybe a real pro, or someone on a trials bike could turn tight enough to do a single row, every tree....but I can't and I don't think my YZ250 will turn that tight! Then again, maybe more practice will help, since this is only the 2nd time I've been on the dirt bike since the snow melted!

But it was fun to go and hack around a bit...

Still need to get some lumber to build a teeter-totter, and some more tires, especially big tractor tires to dig in vertically, endurocross style.

As for afixing the logs, I'm thinking either drill holes at both ends and use rebar flush with the log and 3-4 feet into the ground, or maybe 2x4's on the side sledgehammered into the ground with lag bolts into the ends of the logs? Or maybe digging them into the ground a bit will be sufficient to keep 'em from rolling?

Any advice? Hitting a log that rolls is rather exciting...especially when you veer off to the side and head for a bit tree. Fortunately I regained control and missed it! :thumbsup:

Edited by andrzej

I laid the logs out, then filled in between them with dirt. I still had the first log roll, so I have to add more dirt.

I'd drill two half-inch holes in the logs and hammer two feet of rebar through each hole into the ground

andrzej... how 'but som pics f this lat out...sounds interesting...been thinking about doign something simialr around my place so I can pratice

Pic would be great. Love to see some ideas.

I have an old roadbed that I would like to build some obstacles into.

I picked up some 3' rebar tonight. Figured if 07wr250 used 2 foot, and extra foot wouldn't go amiss, since the ground is pretty sandy and might shift a bit with a hard hit.

As for pics, as I get more in place and actually working, I'll start posting some photos. I first want to get the railway ties in place, and get more tires for both flat (horizontal) placement and larger vertical dug-in ones, endurocross style. Then I'll shoot some photos. Right now there isn't much to see, since it's a work in progress.

But I'm happy to report that I built my dirt bike teeter totter this evening. Pics will be posted later this week on this thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=958049&highlight=

which also has some info on how I constructed it.

I didn't build the track, found it while riding the other day, and I'm to bad a rider to actually try anything except for the wrecked car, but hopefully you can get an idea for some of the stuff you're trying. Theres a picture of the tires laid across the ground where you can see the weight of the extra tires and the dirt surrounding them, it really helps them stick to the ground. And the single tree trunks also stick to the ground with the added dirt and sharp edges from where it got cut.

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

Good luck!

The field of horizontally placed (flat) tires is interesting. Looks like they are partially dug in.

I've been wondering how to keep 7 tires in a 2-3-2 pattern from moving. I suppose I could fill 'em partway with dirt, as in the last pic you posted.

Or I was thinking of maybe bolting them to each other from the inside...the weight of that many tires tied together would keep them from moving, I should think.

Anyone else faced/resolved the tire-moving issue?

Yea if you bolt them you shouldn't have any problems with them moving cause you have their weight plus yours on top. And bolting will be easy

Yea if you bolt them you shouldn't have any problems with them moving cause you have their weight plus yours on top. And bolting will be easy

Bolting will be pretty easy, especially with my portable, battery powered impact driver. Love the new tool.

What I'm not sure of would be what kind of drill bit to use to go through both rubber and the steel belts that reinforce most tires?

Just a normal metal bit probably?

Gotta love them little impact drivers!

A regular bit should be fine.

Make sure if you use rebar or T posts or anything to anchor stuff, that the top is below the obstical. Sure would suck to fall off and get impaled on something!:thumbsup:

Sounds like an awesome project! Can't wait to see pics!

Gotta love them little impact drivers!!

No kidding! I have a large collection of DeWalt 18v portable tools. I recently picked up the heavy duty, 1/2" impact driver....so now my air-compressor driven one doesn't get used as much. And you can't beat the portability! Even caught a 25% off sale on it at Home Depot when I purchased it, which was sweet.

A regular bit should be fine.

That's what I was thinking. Worse case, if it's tough going, I'll take the corded, ultra HD, hammer drill driver to the carcasses.

Did well today....dropped in at at a farm equipment place, and picked up 5 heavy duty, wide bobcat tires and front tractor tires to dig in vertically! My teenage nephew is coming up tonight to ride this weekend, so I think I'm gonna put him to work digging in the tires, endurocross style, while I have "slave labour" available. Hey....he might as well earn his riding, eh?

:worthy:

Make sure if you use rebar or T posts or anything to anchor stuff, that the top is below the obstical. Sure would suck to fall off and get impaled on something!:thumbsup:

Already did that.....since I'll be the most frequent user of the course, it was a matter of self-preservation. :confused: I drove in the 3' rebar to within 3" of the surface of the logs/rail ties, then used the sledge to bend the top down and flush into the log. That way the log can't ride up on the bar, and it's less of a hazard if the log dropps a tad.....and as the logs rot, it'll be easier to pull the rebar up and out of the ground with the bend in the top.

Sounds like an awesome project! Can't wait to see pics!

I'll have pics this weekend for sure. My nephew might be the guinea pig for the teeter totter! I'll have the camcorder out as well...so might have some YouTube videos later in the week as well.

I'm keeping the obstacles of modest size and difficulty for now. Figure I'll make 'em bigger/harder as we get more proficient! I suspect next year my nephew will be digging out the current tires and replacing them will full sized tractor tires! Youza!

I usually stick to steep ramp in a row as seen below:

excitebike.png

Had my nephew, Jambo, play guinea pig on the teeter totter...what a hoot. We both had some great bail outs. I did an endo the first try and my bike ended up upside down on the handlebars, with me doing a "superman" out the front! Ground is soft so no bruises nor bike damage. Jambo had a few good get-offs as well! Wish my wife had been feeling well enough to video our antics (she was in bed with a bad headache all day)...pretty funny! We did manage to do the teet/tot after a bit of practice and some hilarious wipeouts. The logs are pretty easy, but our technique could use some improvement. The endurocross-style vertical tires, which we installed before riding yesterday, are pretty challenging...they tend to pop your back end up. The single track practice earlier helped a lot in the pine stand zigzag...but nowhere near doing every tree!

We'll probably play on the course more today, and hit a local MX track this aft. Will try to get out on the trials bike too!