HELP! XR70 no first gear. Need new clutch or bad tranny?

Just picked up a 2003 xr70 for cheap. No first gear. With shifter down, it does not move when i roll throttle, and up one = it moves, and up again = is the next gear. Thats it, no 3 speed. Does it need new clutch or is the tranny bad?

The bikes are all up, all the way down is neutral. 1st gear is pretty damn short, 2nd and 3rd are more evenly spaced.

When you have the bike running, kick the shifter down down down down down and make sure you are in neutral. Then shift up, it should be a really sdhort gear.. You gotta get moving before going to second, and moving faster before shifting to third.

If you try to shift with the bike standing still, or turned off, sometimes the tranny wont shift more then 1 gear. If you have it rolling, it'll shift much better. :thumbsup:

towlieee, thanks.

Is it the same for xr50/crf50? i swore when i test road a crf50 long time ago, first gear was down, then second up, and third was up again, and neutral was no throttle.

towlieee, thanks.

Is it the same for xr50/crf50? i swore when i test road a crf50 long time ago, first gear was down, then second up, and third was up again, and neutral was no throttle.

it's the same, they are N-1-2-3

I have an aftermarket 4 speed in my 50, and its 1-N-2-3-4, but stock is definitely N-1-2-3