Sign in to follow this  

Rear axle lock nut REALLY LOCKED ON!!!

Went to remove the rear wheel to replace the sprocket. Started to undo the nut, after about 2-3 turns it started to tighten up again. It seems like the self locking nut has malfunctioned. It has really locked on tight, I can't turn it any more because its starting to turn inside the adjuster nut on the other side. Any ideas how I can get this nut off?

47.jpg

16.jpg

Torch, heat it up real hot and try it. If that doesn't work cut it of with a sawzall or cutting wheel. You are going to have to replace it all anyway. I would redo the bearings too once it's apart in case the heat kills the grease.

Cut the nut up before you heat that area up. Too much important aluminum to accidently over heat if you don't know what you're doing with a torch.

Another quicky you can try is mix 50/50 acetone/atf and pour on to threads over night a couple applications before bed will free up a lot of buggered nuts and bolts.

Like Cowboy said. Don't overheat it. I would just put the heat to the locking part of the nut. That will give you plenty of heat where the jamming problem is and you wont melt any aluminum.

I tried some more turning....wahahahaha Its really stuffed now. Ill cut it. Are these bikes still made in Jap? My trans oil check bolt stripped on the fist undo as well..plus mine didn't come with a clutch :thumbsup:

You should be able to put heat on that nut without a problem with the swing arm unless your using a rose bud tip or something crazy.

The Acetone and ATF is a good suggestion. Id try that, then hit it with a propane torch. Or an Oxy/Acetylene with a small tip.

Just cut it....worst outcome is you will have to replace 2 blocks instead of one.

big pair of vice grips and a impact if that dont work then cut it off with a grinder next time don't over torqe it my gess thats its stripped out... torque your new one at 95ft.lbs.

dont feel bad I did the same when I bought my bike new in 03 the threads stripped out in the nut and just spun on the axle so now I allways tourqe it

Impact is a great idea. I always think of that right after I cut the nut off. LOL

I had one do that on a CR250. I could stand on the wrench and it wouldn't come off. Wound up grinding the nut off and, rethreaded the axle to a smaller nut. It looked kinda sketchy but I was on a serious budget. Worked good for like a whole year and finally found another axle on e-bay.

I bought a CR85R Big Wheel one time to do a Dave Miller XR200R Conversion to it. The swing arm axle was so corroded in the engine case I soaked it in Liquid Wrench for days to no avail. I had to break out a 9X Rivet Gun to blast out that axle! That's why its so important to take brand new bikes apart and lube/anti-sieze all of the bolts and bearings!

Joe

Impact is a great idea. I always think of that right after I cut the nut off. LOL

That may have done more damage if the axle continued to spin in the block! Cutting it off was the way to go!

Joe

Cut the f***ing nut off & put an end to this thread.....please

I had the same problem with the rear axle lock nut on a cr85, the problem was that it had been overtightened, there was no corrosion.

Happend to me last month. An impact didnot work. Ended up having it cut off. Had to repalce the nut, axle blocks, and axle. Cost $100

Cut the f***ing nut off & put an end to this thread.....please

Somebody Help! DG has his helmet on too tight and can't it off! Any suggestions?

ROFLMAO

Somebody Help! DG has his helmet on too tight and can't it off! Any suggestions?

ROFLMAO

Got a knife anyone....:thumbsup: