XR650l Chain Length 14T Counter 45 Rear

I searched the forum thinking this must have been covered somewhere, if it was I couldn't find it.

I switched last year to a 14T front sprocket shortly after buying my XR650l, but although my chain was relatively new, I'm almost out of adjustment in terms of the markings for the sock setup. I appreciate the markings are to indicate the wear limit for the stock setup, but it felt to me that lengthening the wheelbase made the steering heavier - could just be me. My question is if the stock chain is 110 links would 108 links work with a 14/45 setup, and is it normal for a 14T to result in so much of the adjustment being taken up, or is my chain more stretched than I assume. The bike only has 2,500 miles on it ,I bought it at 1300 miles and had not been used hard at all.

I just put a 14t backerds 650r (highly recomended for shaft longetivity) css on mine and had to take a link out, It took me down to the 15 mark on the snail adjusters:thumbsup:. My chain was a little used.

I searched the forum thinking this must have been covered somewhere, if it was I couldn't find it.

I switched last year to a 14T front sprocket shortly after buying my XR650l, but although my chain was relatively new, I'm almost out of adjustment in terms of the markings for the sock setup. I appreciate the markings are to indicate the wear limit for the stock setup, but it felt to me that lengthening the wheelbase made the steering heavier - could just be me. My question is if the stock chain is 110 links would 108 links work with a 14/45 setup, and is it normal for a 14T to result in so much of the adjustment being taken up, or is my chain more stretched than I assume. The bike only has 2,500 miles on it ,I bought it at 1300 miles and had not been used hard at all.

I'm using a new, 108-link drive chain with my 13T/45T sprocket combination; my snail adjusters at set at mark 10. Therefore, I'm pretty confident you can shorten your stretched drive chain to 108-links, and it will fit a 14T/45T sprocket combination. :confused:

Spud :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies, I think I might try a new chain anyway, while the sprockets are pretty much new, if I get a 110 with a split link it would be easy to shorten it to 108 if necessary. I will do some more investigation for wear on the original before deciding anything, I could drop the 15t back on and see where I am in the wear range as per the adjusters.

I assume the original chains have no split link, so can they be shortened if you have a link splitter?

Thanks for the replies, I think I might try a new chain anyway, while the sprockets are pretty much new, if I get a 110 with a split link it would be easy to shorten it to 108 if necessary. I will do some more investigation for wear on the original before deciding anything, I could drop the 15t back on and see where I am in the wear range as per the adjusters.

I assume the original chains have no split link, so can they be shortened if you have a link splitter?

Yes, the original drive chain is riveted, and you can remove it using a chain breaker. I like the heavy duty chain breaker I bought from Harbor Freight; it's inexpensive, and it does a good job. :thumbsup:

Spud :confused:

Harbor Freight sounds good, I like their prices :thumbsup:

Just a follow up so others will have the info. Firstly +1 on the harbor freight chain breaker, I've used that on 3 chains already with total ease.

I ended up getting a new RK X ring chain which has 8500lb of tensile strength. When fitting it it didn't seem much shorter than my original worn chain. I ended up taking 2 links out, so it's 108 links, this gets my adjuster to about 5 so it's quite a tight fit.

While my original chain didn't seem that worn, if laid on the ground it could be bent into quite a curve sideways - this used to be a test for wear back in the day, I was surprised how much it curved considering it didn't seem to have stretched much. Also I got out my original 15t sprocket and checked that, there was really no wear on the sprockets at all. Is there some reason for the curvature on the original DID, none of my other bike chains want to do that, seems hard to believe the chain could wear that much without the sprockets wearing too.

I'm pleased with the RK chain and the setup so far, zero adjustment needed after the first 80 miles of riding.