Sign in to follow this  

Need help with 03 wr 450 Want PLUSHER.

Help! I have a 2003 wr 450, and am having trouble getting it to ride like I prefer. I come from old school enduro bikes,, soft and cushy is how I like it. I want it to absorb small bumps, not beat me up! I dont get much air, or go very fast except on familiar trails. This bike has been a bit of a basket case suspension wize. The guy I got it from was taller, so he had the dampening stiffened up, preload on shock was cranked down, fork oil was high, and he had mentioned stiffer springs in front.

What I would like to know is how to tell the fork spring weight, and what can I do to make the fork more plush? Rear shock is less of a problem. I have to keep the pre load cranked down on it to match the fork. However, once the fork is better, I think I can tune it better. Right now, the fork does not sag hardly at all, while the shock needs massive pre load to keep level.

I actually have 2 sets of forks, so what ever advice is given, I can practice on my other set,, then install them. I am ready to dump the oil, rework the shim stacks.... what ever it takes. This is crazy! I need the fork to work. Right now it is too firm and harsh.

just fit the other set and try to get the rear sags good and report back to us how it feels

I swapped out the forks a couple days ago. The replacement set felt a little more worn, and therefore a little softer than the set that was on the bike. Not much change in actual riding conditions. Still too harsh over small bumps. Its like the high speed dampening is nearly locked up, yet the slow speed dampening is good. I was going to see about lighter weight oil.

they normally have a spring on the base valve that wears really quickly(not sure which year) and most people fit a yz type base valve or davej does a decent kit for these forks.But you need to get your springs tested(forks) and shock sags set or it will never work right.

I was looking at the gold valves,, but they are a bit pricey. I am still wondering ig going to a 3w oil would help.

I was looking at the gold valves,, but they are a bit pricey. I am still wondering ig going to a 3w oil would help.
You are wasting every moment of your time until you get the right SHOCK spring for your weight. Too much preload is killing proper action and the rear effects the front and vice versa. Your manual shows proper preload ranges, follow it. Suspension has to work as a system, balanced front to rear. You will never get the forks right until you get the shock sprung right with proper preload. Rider and static sag measurements will tell the tale.

I have found that lighter oil doesn't have much effect. It sounds like you need to change your valving. I've done what you are talking about on a few bikes now. You shouldn't need to buy anything, except maybe oil if you don't want to reuse what's in there.

I've found that I had to remove shims quite drastically to get the plushness that I wanted. You just have to keep taking it apart and re-arranging the shims until you get it where you want it. I usually takes me three tries before I get it close to where I want it.

Help! I have a 2003 wr 450, and am having trouble getting it to ride like I prefer. I come from old school enduro bikes,, soft and cushy is how I like it. I want it to absorb small bumps, not beat me up! I dont get much air, or go very fast except on familiar trails. This bike has been a bit of a basket case suspension wize. The guy I got it from was taller, so he had the dampening stiffened up, preload on shock was cranked down, fork oil was high, and he had mentioned stiffer springs in front.

What I would like to know is how to tell the fork spring weight, and what can I do to make the fork more plush? Rear shock is less of a problem. I have to keep the pre load cranked down on it to match the fork. However, once the fork is better, I think I can tune it better. Right now, the fork does not sag hardly at all, while the shock needs massive pre load to keep level.

I actually have 2 sets of forks, so what ever advice is given, I can practice on my other set,, then install them. I am ready to dump the oil, rework the shim stacks.... what ever it takes. This is crazy! I need the fork to work. Right now it is too firm and harsh.

call dave at Smart Performance www.smartperformanceinc.com

he will sell you a kit to rebuild your suspension.