Pinging

Just picked up a used '07 DRZ400SM bone stock with only 600 miles. Noticed heavy pinging at anything more than half throttle. Suspect lean factory jetting. Is that probably it?

Thanks

What's the fuel quality like where you live?..Try putting higher octane fuel in and see if it stops the pinging....

Ensure you are not laboring the engine...let it rev out freely....i.e....like don't have it in 5th , trying to accelerate from 30km/h..

I would install a JD jet kit and do 3x3...

Also have a look thru the FAQ section , locktite fixes etc...https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=397

Thanks! I'm pretty excited about this, its my second DRZSM, the first, a black 05 came fully modded including Hotcams. Sold it a year ago, missed it, found this bone stock one in blue/white. Gas is good up here, no alcohol, but I'll switch to high octane until rejetted. I'm not lugging but it pings only at higher revs only when the throttle is cracked open, goes super lean. Still not fully broken in so I'm careful about lugging and staying off the highway. I read up the FAQ, just two more quick questions. At what mileage can I switch to full synth oil? What is the quietest full exhaust system? Is there such a thing? Last one had Yosh, pretty loud.

Thanks! I'm pretty excited about this, its my second DRZSM, the first, a black 05 came fully modded including Hotcams. Sold it a year ago, missed it, found this bone stock one in blue/white. Gas is good up here, no alcohol, but I'll switch to high octane until rejetted. I'm not lugging but it pings only at higher revs only when the throttle is cracked open, goes super lean. Still not fully broken in so I'm careful about lugging and staying off the highway. I read up the FAQ, just two more quick questions. At what mileage can I switch to full synth oil? What is the quietest full exhaust system? Is there such a thing? Last one had Yosh, pretty loud.

FMF Q4 with megabomb is probably the quietest aftermarket setup. But you won't gain much over the stock if anything. Save your money and stay with the stock setup if you want to keep the noise down.

Mike ?:confused:

• Helpful 1

. At what mileage can I switch to full synth oil? What is the quietest full exhaust system? Is there such a thing? Last one had Yosh, pretty loud.

Go to full syn anytime now.....

What m22 said , but.......

You will need have a free flowing pipe and make some more noise to get better performance from a DRZ..

SSW/MRD or Yoshimura Ti has been tested to be the best...

As you said, it might have had a partially restricted mj from sitting. i drained the 87 fuel, refilled with Chevron 94 and 100ml of Seafoam... After five minutes it was running perfectly, no more pinging at all. I'll switch back to 87 next tank to see if its cured. Meanwhile I'll order a jet kit. Will probably stay with stock exhaust for now, stealth is good around here on the backroads. Too much bad press and fuming neighbors with loud sportbikes and cruisers causing problems. With a JD or Dynojet kit and stock exhaust, do I need a K&N or is the stock air filter ok? Thanks.