Sign in to follow this  

Low Stator Voltage Output

Been having some electric problems with my 06 DRZ40sm. Battery slowly dying throughout a day of riding, until it can't start. This is my second battery, which I have to keep on a tender now. I did all the electrical tests that were described in another post, got to testing the voltage output of the stator, and I had 50v for a couple seconds then it dropped on all three wires to around 10v, revving could only bring it up to about 17V. The battery reflects similar results. Revving slighting increases the voltage, but only to about 12.9V from say 12.5V or so. Revving also does not affect the brightness of the headlight. Definitely seems like the stator is bad, correct? What are the visual signs that the stator is bad when I get it open? Any aftermarket suggestions?

To me it sounds like the stator since your battery is dying and the electrical tests that you did seem to indicate that. If it is the stator a Ricky Stator would be a good bet. $125. You should also get the SSW Free power harness as well.

Mike :thumbsup::confused:

To me it sounds like the stator since your battery is dying and the electrical tests that you did seem to indicate that. If it is the stator a Ricky Stator would be a good bet. $125. You should also get the SSW Free power harness as well.

Mike :thumbsup::confused:

I was thinking Stator also. I think I would pick up a used one on fleabay as new one's ain't cheap. Or, maybe someone here can tell you how to test your stator. Does it idle ok, but bog spit and pop when you give it throttle?

Rather than guessing.... You need to read the "how to test your charging system" in the FAQ section..... It`l take you to the answer. It`s the only way to know for sure.....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Erling

calco - Follow the test procedures given in FAQ. All the stator tests given in FAQ require the stator to be open circuit (wires disconnected). Usually low voltage from the stator will show other problems like s a short to ground. Look at all the important connections: Stator to RR, RR to battery, fuse, bat terminals, etc. And of course think about doing the "free Power" mod.

follow the electrical troubleshooting procedure in the FAQs, Erik wrote up an excellent procedure that is easy to follow

my '01 stator with 15K miles appeared to be fine but tested bad, when we pulled it out, couldn't see any signs of corrosion or damage or burning but all the phases tested zero to ground, I don't know what the previous owner used for oil but I use the Silkolene brand now, have the lighter TrailTech flywheel and Electrosport stator, had a few "teething" issues with the flywheel but everything has been fine now for several thousand miles

I haven't done the free power mod but you can buy the pre-made plug and play kit from Eddie

http://www.sisnerosspeedworks.com/dr-z400-free-power-harness

...yeah I know...what am waiting for to buy one myself? actually gonna get the fan switch and coil on cap conversion and get all my parts together

Rather than guessing.... You need to read the "how to test your charging system" in the FAQ section..... It`l take you to the answer. It`s the only way to know for sure.....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Erling

Yeah that's what I was referring to in my first post. When I tested the stator output, low voltage seemed to be the only thing that didn't check off the list. So I just wanted to confirm.