1977 XL75 - Clutch wont disengage.

What would prevent the clutch from disengaging? My 1977 XR75 was working fine about a year ago when I pulled the engine to restore the body. The engine sat, untouched, in my shed. The only thing I did to the motor/transmission was draining the oil.

Fast forward to today, when I got it all back together. In neutral the wheel spins freely, as would be expected. In gear, the transmission engages like normal, but will not disengage when I pull the clutch lever. I have tightened it as far as it will go, almost to the point I can hardly pull it in with one hand.

Is there some place I should look first? I have the book, but I know ZERO about how the transmission woks.

The plates have dried out and stuck together. Doing what you are doing is only going to break something else.

Two choices....lay the bike over on its side to get plenty of oil round the plates. Bump start it and ride around (somewhere safe) and it should free up.

Or....pull off the clutch, seperate the plates, soak in oil and reassemble.

PS. Don't go hitting anything with a hammer.

Same as above !!! ride it with the clutch pulled in and it will soon be back to normal :thumbsup:

Thank you both, so very much... :confused: Got it running and ran it up and down the alleyway. By the time I got back to my gate the clutch was working like a champ! :thumbsup:

Edited by Memnok
Thank you both, so very much... :confused: Got it running and ran it up and down the alleyway. By the time I got back to my gate the clutch was working like a champ! :thumbsup:

Excellent!! I'm off riding tomorrow in the Andulicia mountains (Spain) :worthy:

I'll be thinking of you.....not :busted: