Sign in to follow this  

Notched Clutch Basket

Hi Guys,

I took the Clutch apart on my bike (1997 KX100) to measure everything and make sure it was all still within the manufacturers recommended measurements.

I took the clutch basket out to see if there was any notches on it. Unfortunately there is, but I don't think they are that bad/deep.

I will get a photo up to show you....

If I am completely honest I do not want to buy a new clutch basket, as that is £80!

How bad do the notches need to be for it too effect the clutch?

Thanks and ATB

James

If the notches aren't bad, just file them down. You will still eventually have to get a new basket, but this will give you a temporary fix.

I just replaced the clutch basket on my son's cr 125. Although the notches where not that bad, (according to the local shop) they were uneven. Meaning that there was tangs that the plates contacted and not the others. The mechanic asked me if I had filed the clutch basket previously because this is the normal problem with filling. If you do file it is a temporary fix. It can cause uneven stress on one tang of the basket and cause tang failure instead of just rough shifting. As mine was contacting only two or three tangs while there was gaps in all the other plates, I opted to replace the basket instead of chancing having a major failure that could take out more than just the basket. I didn't measure the notches, but if I were to hazard a guess I would say they were less than a 1/16th of an inch.

The Bug

Thankyou both for your replies. I filed the notches down as if I am honest, I can''t really justify spending £80 on a new clutch basket.

Thanks for all your help! :thumbsup:

James