Sign in to follow this  

Always twisting the front end

It seems the littlest of crashes always twists my front end in the triple clamps, what am I doing wrong. I have RG3 triple clamps but it was happening before I purchased them.

Today in a race I fell and twisted the forks had to bump the wheel on a tree to try straightening up.

What do you make of this?

'Bout all it can be is the pinch bolts are not torqued up properly, or there is a high spot on the leg or inside the clamp, causing them not to 'mate' correctly.

change the rubber bar mounts to aluminum incerts. worked for me i had the same issue.

but then if you have bigger crashes the bolts bend... its no issue for me tho i just turned some spares up on the lathe and i replace them if needed. :thumbsup:

think you can buy the bolts for cheap as 2.

Like what dgcars wrote, wrong torque or something not right on the surfaces between the clamps and fork tubes. The surfaces must be perfect and clean. I carefully rubbed inside clamps with 800 wet/oiled sand paper, then cleaned all surfaces with brake cleaner and paper towel. I torque the lowers to 20nm and no more. Uppers to about 22nm. I have plenty of small crashes and bars hitting the ground, but the forks always stay true. Sometimes my rubber bar mounts move, but I can fix that quickly while seated.

my 08 crf450r does the same thing. nothing you can do about it until you mount solid bar mounts. the rubbers are there to minimize vibration and alow everything to "move' in a crash instead of "bend". everytime i trackday and crash part of my maintenance is to in the garage later loosen everything and retorque it straight knowing itll get twisted again when i go down. point being, youre not the only one and to avoid it, take your riding back a few notches to avoid crashes.

I think the OP wrote he's twisting his fork tubes in the triples (quick fixed by holding wheel). Not his bars relative to the top clamp (quick fix sitting on bike). In which case more solid bar mounts would make his problem worse.

I think the OP wrote he's twisting his fork tubes in the triples (quick fixed by holding wheel). Not his bars relative to the top clamp (quick fix sitting on bike). In which case more solid bar mounts would make his problem worse.

ahhhh. :thumbsup: read that wrong lol.

Like what dgcars wrote, wrong torque or something not right on the surfaces between the clamps and fork tubes. The surfaces must be perfect and clean. I carefully rubbed inside clamps with 800 wet/oiled sand paper, then cleaned all surfaces with brake cleaner and paper towel. I torque the lowers to 20nm and no more. Uppers to about 22nm. I have plenty of small crashes and bars hitting the ground, but the forks always stay true. Sometimes my rubber bar mounts move, but I can fix that quickly while seated.

I have done what have suggested, racing this weekend so it will be a good test. I cleaned the inside of the fork tubes which were fairly dirty.