2000 KX250 vs 2000 YZ250

I have the choice to buy one of the 2 they are both priced at 1800.00 is there anyone that can give me some advice on how to choose. I used to ride a 1993 YZ250 and I had all sorts of problems with the power valve so I am curious if either of these bikes are known for any major problems.

Thanks

I owned a 2000 KX and my buddy has a 2000 YZ. Overall his has been a better bike on most fronts. I believe the KX has had some instances of clutch issues, but mine did not. His bike had better (although not necessarily much more) power whereas mine was much more aggressive with its powerband. The KX feels and is physically larger/taller (which I liked) but I felt his YZ turned better. The KX feels more stable IMO. The KX has a tall first gear for trails, not that the YZ is perfect, but its mellower deliver seemed to hide the MX gearing better. It might have a comparatively lower first gear as well; it feel like it, but I'm unsure.

For that age of bike, the condition is MUCH more important than the model, so forget everything I've said and look at that first.:thumbsup:

i own a 2001 kx250 and love it. i do trails with lots of big hillclimbs, tight trails, creeks, open sections, a little bit of everything. my bike does very good in everything. it does have a more aggressive powerband than the yz. i do thing the yz has a little more bottom end power but not by much (btw i am referring to the 02 model because that is the only yz250 i have had experience with) but all in all i would go with the one that is in better shape. you really cant go wrong with the 250 2ts. so good luck. hope i helped you out a little

YZ all the way. I like the YZs suspension a lot better. Its way easier and cheaper to get parts for a YZ than a KX because most parts are interchangeable through different models. Try to find a 2001+ YZ if possible. For 1800, it would be possible to buy a 2004+ in NM economy.

YZ all the way. I like the YZs suspension a lot better. Its way easier and cheaper to get parts for a YZ than a KX because most parts are interchangeable through different models. Try to find a 2001+ YZ if possible. For 1800, it would be possible to buy a 2004+ in NM economy.

The idea of getting a newer bike for the price might genuinely apply here. No doubt the newer bikes will perform better, but more importantly, they are more likely to be in better condition. Not necessarily, but with the budget you're looking at I'm going to assume you don't want to nickel and dime yourself with bearings, top ends, etc. For the record, having owned the KX and having stored at my house/worked on the YZ, parts prices are very comparable between the two. The KX shares a LOT of parts from the years 97-2004. I've already outlined my opinion on the performance, but I want the OP to have the best information available.

Good luck:thumbsup:

First off I would like to say thanks to all the replies. I ended up getting the KX250 simply because it was in much better condition than the YZ250 and it was the same price.

Don't get me wrong the YZ looked good and im sure it is a great bike but just comparing the 2 I was looking at the KX came out on top. I took it for a ride yesterday and man it came pritty close to blowing my socks off !! That thing is stupid fast.

Looks like im going to need a new air filter and thats all I can find that the bike needs for now. Does anyone use the parts section in this site to purchase things?? I live in Canada and was wondering how the shipping is and if the parts do compare good price wise ?

Sounds like a good deal. Post up some pics of your bike.

Congrats on the new bike. KX's are good bikes:thumbsup:

First off I would like to say thanks to all the replies. I ended up getting the KX250 simply because it was in much better condition than the YZ250 and it was the same price.

Don't get me wrong the YZ looked good and im sure it is a great bike but just comparing the 2 I was looking at the KX came out on top. I took it for a ride yesterday and man it came pritty close to blowing my socks off !! That thing is stupid fast.

Looks like im going to need a new air filter and thats all I can find that the bike needs for now. Does anyone use the parts section in this site to purchase things?? I live in Canada and was wondering how the shipping is and if the parts do compare good price wise ?

Its funny how people talk about how much power we need. Then you take a 250 MX'er out and realize that these things haul ass. I added a 13oz flywheel wieght for mine (trail duty) and it helped the hookup. That particular year KX is an abrupt machine, so be careful man!:thumbsup:

Hey wonderspoon what does adding weight to the flywheel do for the bike?

I wanted to know if anyone knows how I can adjust this bike to maybe slow it down a little bit or maybe make the gears a little longer I find that i go through the gears in a matter of seconds. or maybe it just feels like seconds lol. The last time I rode was a yz 250 like 6 years ago and I can see that I will need to take it easy with this rocket bike until I get used to the bikes power !!!

kx250.jpg

That's a good looking bike, pretty clean.

As far as taking some of the bikes bark away....you can change the gearing. A smaller rear sprocket and/or a bigger front sprocket will take away some acceceration and hit but give you more top speed. It will also make each gear seem longer. Try going down a few teeth on the rear sprocket. Some bikes can't use bigger front sprockets, I'm not sure on this particular bike but I would guess it can.

1 tooth change in the front is equal to 3 in the back.

So lets say stock is 14/50 (pretty common). A 15/50 would be equal to a 14/47. And a 13/50 would be equal to a 14/53.

14/48 would be a good start I would think. If you need some new sprockets/ chain, try something like this.

Its way easier and cheaper to get parts for a YZ than a KX because most parts are interchangeable through different models.

You don't know what you're talking about. Alot of parts swap from 94-02 KX's and some parts from 03 and 04 until the new engine in 05.

Keep an eye on the lower shock bearing, you need to replace them at least once a season depending how much you ride. Under the seat is the CDI, water can get into the plugs and cause a short. Remove the plugs and blow out with compressed air, then apply a generous amount of dielectric grease to the connections.

Stock grearing 13/48 (IIRC) is good for that bike on wide trails or MX. someone may have installed a 12t front sprocket to compensate for the tall 1st gear. Which would produce a bigger "hit".

Browse around the Kaw 2 stroke forum, there's a ton of info on those bikes. Your bike specifically is a KX250-L2. "L" is the model and 2000 was the 2nd year produced. Pretty much all parts from 99-01 KX250's will swap to that bike. 02 has the same body with some differences in the suspension and engine.

The front brakes were real mushy. You need to swap out the master cylinder from a 03 and newer 125/250/250F/450.

Hey wonderspoon what does adding weight to the flywheel do for the bike?

I wanted to know if anyone knows how I can adjust this bike to maybe slow it down a little bit or maybe make the gears a little longer I find that i go through the gears in a matter of seconds. or maybe it just feels like seconds lol. The last time I rode was a yz 250 like 6 years ago and I can see that I will need to take it easy with this rocket bike until I get used to the bikes power !!!

As mentioned before, higher gearing will both remove some of the hit of the powerband and make the gears last a little longer. I'd recommend trying a one tooth larger front sprocket. You can buy them online in many places. I got one from the rockymountainatv site for 8.99. You may want to try this site as well (support those who support you) Be aware that your first gear will be higher with any gearing up option, and combined with the relatively high first gear of the KX this can be a problem in tight trails. You haven't specified the type of riding you're doing, so I don't know if that matters to you or not. The flywheel weight slows down the speed at which the engine changes RPM. This sounds like the best initial modification if you're looking to make the bike more manageable without changing gearing. It won't turn your bike into an XR, but its a nice addition, and you can find tons of guys who recommend them. I'd highly recommend it as a "stay safe" modification. It also helps reduce stalling. This is most useful if you're riding on tight trails, but I'd bet that it helps in moto as well. I wouldn't bother if you're riding it in wide open areas. I used the 13oz from steahly offroad and its pretty simple to install. Plus, if you sell the bike later, its so easy to remove you can probably get a little of the value back selling it separately. Somebody else suggested a new brake master cylinder. In my opinion, ride the bike and if the brake drives you nuts then you can change it then. It didn't bother me, and now I have a bike with a fantastic front brake (Husqvarna) but to be honest its not as big of a deal to me as others. Overall I'd suggest that you be mindful of putting lots of modifications into a 11 year old bike since you'll reap VERY little of that money back in resale.

Edited by Wonderspoon