XR650R sidel panel mod

Hey all, I'm about to do the side panel mod for my 650R and before I started I was wondering about a few points.

Has anyone who has done this mod ride in wet weather and experienced water on the air filter? Therefore is it recomended to do this mod if one rides predominantly in wet weather or on wet terrain? I understand the R was made for Baja and dessert racing and this mod may be beneficial in those conditions, but I can just imagine a splash on the side cover wetting the air filter.

And

Is it really noticible? I've read some guys really rave on about it but I just don't know if it would make that much difference.

I've got the bits from XR's only coming and didn't want to find out the hard way it's no good for me and where I ride, that is single track, rocky rutted out hills and lots of puddles when it rains.

I just came back from a 3 day ride(long weekend) and it rained for 2 days out of three.

It was mostly single tracks, hill climbs.

I even fell in mud water at one point, was way too deep and i didnt bother to get off the bike to find out lol.

The bike fell on the intake side panel too.

I have not found any issue's yet, water wont damage anything if its just light sprinkles going in.

You will get a louder noise now coming from your left side, like an air suction type noise, almost like a car on webers :thumbsup:

most of them up here wont know what webers are.:thumbsup:

Thanks.

Did you notice anything in performance after doing the mod?

You won't have any problem in light rain conditions.

I can't assure you for heavy rain or more extreme conditions like the one MAZMAN described.

But with proper jetting you'll like the result in performance-sound.

Not a major difference but a good one.

It makes the biggest difference when you also have a full race pipe and cam. With the rest of the bike stock (or just opened up), you will get more intake noise and that is about it.

For some super dust desert races, I will tape over my cutouts for just the bomb run to save the filter a little bit, and the power loss is very noticable. But I'd rather be down a little power (when I have some to spare) at the start of the race and can get it back by tearing off the duct tape compared to having to stop somewhere along the race course and change the airfilter.

It makes the biggest difference when you also have a full race pipe and cam. With the rest of the bike stock (or just opened up), you will get more intake noise and that is about it.

For some super dust desert races, I will tape over my cutouts for just the bomb run to save the filter a little bit, and the power loss is very noticable. But I'd rather be down a little power (when I have some to spare) at the start of the race and can get it back by tearing off the duct tape compared to having to stop somewhere along the race course and change the airfilter.

There it is.

We found the bike is about 2 bike lengths faster over the quarter mile with the cut out panel.