nuked the 540sx and now no 1st?

Last october I nuked my 02 540sx (NEVER BUY SOMEBODYS PROJECT BIKE!!!!!!!!)

Anyways finnaly Rebuilt the the thing and like an idiot I didnt try the gears until I had the bike running.

2nd through 6th work awesome. On occasion if I have the rpms up and try to shift from nuetral to 2nd It wont shift until it idles down.

But I have no first gear. I can slowly push it down and hear the gears chattering and I can get it past that to where it feels like its just about to click in but no farther and soon as I let off the shifter it pops back into nuetral.

I havnt had time to tear into it yet. Have been told that it sounded like a bent shift fork from one buddy and another thinkin its clutch issues.

What are your thoughts on this?

i'd like to give you a bit of hope here, wouldn't it be simpler to just open up the engine and see what's going on? you can't (and shouldn't) ride it anyhow.

it sound's to me like something to do with the fork though i might be wrong,

if the gears work from 2nd and up, the clutch should be fine,

yet i'm not any specialized mechanic.

This may offer you a glimmer of hope, yet demonstrate my mechanical ineptitude........

I had engine stripped down doing some work. When I reassembled it I never tried the gears. One I got kitted up for my next ride and set off, no 1st gear!! Nightmare.

I rode it using second, which is pretty low down anyway. Much headscratching followed before I figured it out.....

......Gear lever was put back on in the wrong position and was fouling the sump guard. All up gears (2-6) were fine, going down to 1st was the issue. Undid the lever, turned it on the splines, hooray, we have 1st gear.

Every day is a school day.

obi wan, are you fouling with me? just gave the guy an idea seeing nobody attended he's post, even if that's the stupidest idea, atleast that shows about the intentions which when they are good, that's all that is important,

never claimed to be a mechanic, don't have to act like an idiot..

anyhow,

had the same thing you described more or less with a different model shifter lever which got stuck in the case at 3rd gear, 1st and 2nd went all right yet the 3rd got stuck,

before taking the bike to the garage figured it might be the lever,

still riding with the broken one :thumbsup:.

Hold your horses keyboard warrior!

I was being serious. I really did re-fit the gear lever in the slightly wrong position and lost 1st gear as a result. I was genuinely trying to offer the guy some advice. No need to have a go at me in return.

If my advice helped, great. if not, ignore it and get on with your life. I was merely trying to be helpful, that's all.

o.k, sorry, it seemed like a smart ass remark :confused:,

p.s, i'm fighting people outside the forum scene as well, not a pure keyboard warrior.. if someone is being silly with you, confront him, don't be indifferent and let the mean guys rule :thumbsup:.

take care thumb-up.png.

No harm done, I have fairly thick skin.

:thumbsup:

Hold your horses keyboard warrior!

I was being serious. I really did re-fit the gear lever in the slightly wrong position and lost 1st gear as a result. I was genuinely trying to offer the guy some advice. No need to have a go at me in return.

If my advice helped, great. if not, ignore it and get on with your life. I was merely trying to be helpful, that's all.

IMHO, it was damn good advice. I've not had that happen with a KTM but I did have it happen to a vintage Can-Am. In that instance, there was a small brush-deflecting cable that when the shift lever was installed one flute (fluke? cog?) off on the spline, the cable prevented its going into first gear.

I was on the verge of splitting the cases when I discovered the problem. It was like mana from heaven!

Lastly, a bent shift fork is quite unlikely. It takes a hell of a lot of force to bend any shift fork. It the transmission was shifting before the teardown, it ain't the shift fork unless you ran over the transmission parts with a tank.