snapped lower front fork bolt. safe to ride?

i screwed it in too tight and it snapped. i wont be able to get it out with pliers cause there is nothing for my too grab on to. so how do i get it out, and in the meantime, is it safe to ride?

img0015ds.jpg

There's nothing for you to grab on to "with the holder on". Have you tried removing the holder completely and seeing what you've got to work with?

youll be fine missing one but you should get that taken care of. iv been missing one of the nuts on mine since the threads for the stud need to be redied. still havent gotten around to doing that, but so far so good.

There's nothing for you to grab on to "with the holder on". Have you tried removing the holder completely and seeing what you've got to work with?

i didnt take the holder off because the bolt didnt snap off at the head, it snapped off down in the other piece.

its so crazy how easily they snap, i was just screwing it in with no struggle at all then snap.

Likely the bolt was already overstressed and you tightening it was just the proverbial straw that broke the camels back. Get and easy out kit. Simple to do with that. Make sure you use the correct size easy out, if you snap an easy out you will have real trouble on your hands.

Darrell

+1 Don't snap the easy out in there.... been there done that, it sucks. would be best to take the fork off the bike and secure it to the work-bench so you can be SURE you are drilling the easy out in STRAIGHT!

The problem has been taken care of, thanks to everyone who offered advice :]

trailryder was right, after i took the cover off, there was still a bit left sticking out that i was able to grip on to with those locking pliers, whatever you call them.

i bought 4 long bolts and cut the heads off, then used them as studs to replace the one bolt that broke, the other one next to it, and the two studs on the bottom which were a little bent.

i screwed it in too tight and it snapped. i wont be able to get it out with pliers cause there is nothing for my too grab on to. so how do i get it out, and in the meantime, is it safe to ride?

img0015ds.jpg

Probably, but you should try to get the stud out and replace it. There is no tension on the remaining stud, but corrosion could cause it to be a bear to get started. If it snapped flush with the bottom piece, you could use an ez-out to pull it. If there is a nub sticking out, don't use pliers or even vice-grips - they will both spin. Use a small pipe wrench to grab it - it cams in and will dig into the stud.

Incidently, those nuts are torqued to either 7 or 9 ft-lbs (can't remember which). Either way, that is little more than finger-tight with a 6" wrench. I can see by the munged bolts that you are grossly overtorquing those bolts. I remember when I used an 18" breaker bar to tighten those bolts because I was too lazy to walk over and get a small wrench. I snapped 3 of the things before I realized what was going on. Honda charges $3/stud, but any decently (metric) stocked hardware store carries them for about a tenth of that. Seeing as how all of the studs have been overstressed, I'd change them all. Use an inch-lb torque wrench to tighten them until you get "the feel".

JayC