Sign in to follow this  

Best dirt bike tires?

Hey guys, I have a 2007 YZ250F and both my tires have little to no tread on them anymore, so I'm looking to buy a new set of (I'm thinking) intermediate tires. I ride primarily in two places: an old golf course (pretty much a big open field, kinda hilly but mostly covered in grass) and my local track, which is pretty average as far as hardness and moistness go. I have to ride on the street for maybe half a mile to get to the golf course each way. So let's say every other weekend I ride at the golf course(keeping in mind I'll be going about a mile on the street on those days in addition to a few hours of riding), and on the alternate weekends I ride at the track. I want a tire that gets good traction so I'll be able to make it up loose hills but I also want it to last me all season (ideally without having to be replaced, I don't have a whole lot of extra cash lying around). Could anyone recommend a tire with nice traction that lasts them a long time? I was considering Dunlop GeoMax MX51's and Bridgestone M403/404's, however I've heard both of those don't last very long. I've also heard the longest lasting are Maxxis MaxxCross Desert IT's, however those get little to no traction on soft terrain. Like I said though, I'm just considering those three and I'd be completely open to other suggestions if there's a better option for my situation. Perhaps I can run a different tire on the front and rear. Thanks for the help in advance.

I am running Kenda Millville's on the front and back of my YZ 250T and on a CR 125r. We put them on middle of last summer and the are still in good condition. We put maybe 30-40 hours of riding on them between the track and our own house. They get eaten pretty fast on gravel though. The other issue that I have with them, is that they are really hard to get on. I have used scorpion pro's once and they did pretty good and are DOT as well. Not the best at the track though the front sticks pretty decent. I tried the kenda's mostly because our local shop had them on major sale. All considered I am happy with them. My second son just put a set of Geomax 51's on, but haven't had the chance to really give a review on them.

THe Bug

I run the dunlops on the front and a maxxcross IT on the back, never really tried anything else becuase this set up has been work for 6 years now. The dunlops are a good tire but they wear out fast on the back end and the IT's last way longer then the dunlops.

Only other thing you may want to keep in mind is to take it easy on the road as ringing it out on the ashphalt kills rear tires.

I have a maxxis desert IT rear tire on my 450 and it does fine in mud and hardpack.

Here is what it looks like with 355 miles on it.

IMG_0603.jpg

shoebiked8svf5965.jpg

Great traction.

I run the dunlops on the front and a maxxcross IT on the back, never really tried anything else becuase this set up has been work for 6 years now. The dunlops are a good tire but they wear out fast on the back end and the IT's last way longer then the dunlops.

Only other thing you may want to keep in mind is to take it easy on the road as ringing it out on the ashphalt kills rear tires.

Yeah, I figured that's what probably does it. Since I've heard the Maxxis front doesn't do too well, I'll probably go with the Maxxis Desert IT rear and either a GeoMax MX51 or Bridgestone 403 on the front. Can anyone make any recommendations between those two or any others?