[[Template core/global/plugins/realFaviconGenerator does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]] Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400SM seems lacking in power

I'm fairly new to the SM scene and I've only had my DRZ for about 6 months. In that time I've made some small additions and just started getting the feel of the bike. I'm fairly comfortable on it but I just keep thinking that it doesn't have the power that it should have.

Now I know that these things are low in the HP department but I keep seeing videos of people clutching up their stockers in 3rd gear and I can't get my decently modded one to come up an inch in 3rd. My bike has the athena BB kit, fcr carb, and mrd jetted to Eddie's specs. From what I gather it ought to be tough to keep the front end down.

It pulls up under power in first and second with ease if I find the sweet spot and clutching up in 1st is almost dangerous. 2nd gear clutch ups are easy when I don't wuss out but I can get it up quite easy. 3rd gear won't do squat. I have tried all throughout the rev range and have pulled the clutch in and basically gone WOT and dumped it and get nothing. I've properly adjusted/cleaned/lubed my chain and the sprockets and chain are in great shape with not too many miles on them.

Is there something that I'm missing here? Maybe I am expecting way too much but it seems others with less bike are getting a lot more out of their DRZ's. I apologize for the long post and I appreciate any input anyone can provide.

I'm fairly new to the SM scene and I've only had my DRZ for about 6 months. In that time I've made some small additions and just started getting the feel of the bike. I'm fairly comfortable on it but I just keep thinking that it doesn't have the power that it should have.

Now I know that these things are low in the HP department but I keep seeing videos of people clutching up their stockers in 3rd gear and I can't get my decently modded one to come up an inch in 3rd. My bike has the athena BB kit, fcr carb, and mrd jetted to Eddie's specs. From what I gather it ought to be tough to keep the front end down.

It pulls up under power in first and second with ease if I find the sweet spot and clutching up in 1st is almost dangerous. 2nd gear clutch ups are easy when I don't wuss out but I can get it up quite easy. 3rd gear won't do squat. I have tried all throughout the rev range and have pulled the clutch in and basically gone WOT and dumped it and get nothing. I've properly adjusted/cleaned/lubed my chain and the sprockets and chain are in great shape with not too many miles on them.

Is there something that I'm missing here? Maybe I am expecting way too much but it seems others with less bike are getting a lot more out of their DRZ's. I apologize for the long post and I appreciate any input anyone can provide.

I'm feeling the same way with my SM although it's stock. I'm currently feeling like it's easy to pull up in first but second it doesn't wanna go up. Maybe I'm just not in the power band when I dumping the clutch.

The older i get, the more it seems to be loosing power.......

Could be the extra few pounds i have put on though! :thumbsup::confused:

Thats my new Free Power mod, i have to go on a diet. :worthy::busted:

I have noticed the SM are a little harder then the S to get up in 2nd, maybe that big heavy front tire. Also if the chain is ajusted out further it is harder. I have taken out a couple of chain links to shorten the chain, moving the rear tire forwards and this made 2nd gear wheels easier.

I have noticed the SM are a little harder then the S to get up in 2nd, maybe that big heavy front tire. Also if the chain is ajusted out further it is harder. I have taken out a couple of chain links to shorten the chain, moving the rear tire forwards and this made 2nd gear wheels easier.

Good point, I may have to look into this. Of course I don't wanna do it just yet since I'm sure the front end will pick up much more easily one I throw the FCR and pipe on this thing.

Good point, I may have to look into this. Of course I don't wanna do it just yet since I'm sure the front end will pick up much more easily one I throw the FCR and pipe on this thing.

+1:thumbsup:

you guys saying about the chain being far back on the adjusters is soooo true.

i had my adjusters past the limit out the back of the bike,took out a link and moved the chain forward just over 2cms and now it comes up alot easyer in second.

its obviously because of shortening the wheel base,does make a big difference

Well I am running stock SM gearing and the adjusters are only on the first mark since it is a very new chain/sprockets.

2nd gear wheelies are not a problem at all. They pull right up. 3rd gear wheelies is where it dies.

Sit back a little.

Mine acts the same way . BB/Cams/jetted/Yosh pipe/no fcr.

Considering 2 more teeth in the rear.

mines got the 434,fcr carb, hotcams,yosh rs2,and I can get the front wheel up a little in third with the clutch,but my skills suck,im running 15/38 sprockets and i weigh 208lbs.That said,the bike will wheelie on just power in second,a little clutch will stand it right up,real quick.When I had the stock 41 tooth rear sprocket,it would come up good in third with the clutch.I noticed you didnt mention cams?hotcams work very well with the other mods,kinda complete the package.

Yea I don't have any cams but I feel I should still be able to get it up some in 3rd. I guess I'll keep trying. It still seems odd.

D, sorry you can't get it up :thumbsup:, I'm still learning on mine. Since you're use to a SV650, the DRZ feels about 30hp short of what you'd like or expect. I feel the same, my VFR (although a pig) can be a lot more exhilarating

R

I know this is not a stunt discussion but if you stand up & bounce the bike while slipping the clutch the DRZ will come up in third,I have the MRD SSW exhaust,JD jetkit,k & N filter on stock gears & I get it up no problem..second gear clutchups sitting down no problem & 1st is a joke it's so easy.

I can't imagine with the mods you guys have the bike not coming up.

D, sorry you can't get it up :thumbsup:, I'm still learning on mine. Since you're use to a SV650, the DRZ feels about 30hp short of what you'd like or expect. I feel the same, my VFR (although a pig) can be a lot more exhilarating

R

Very nice! I knew it was coming. :confused:

The SV is fun at times but I still love riding this thing. I just feel like it should get on one wheel a little easier. It carves corners much easier than the SV. :worthy:

I'm curious about your gearing. I've got an S with just a jetted carb and Yosh pipe, and mine comes up in 3rd off the clutch easy. Of course, my gearing makes it easy (14/44 in SM trim).