Moab has a new hospital

Utah

The new hospital is very nice, although I hope you never get to see it. The ER still can't keep up with us, it's been slammed every afternoon and evening. I came in mid-week, it's not just weekends anymore. But the hospital staff is great, real personal service with time to stay and chat, and I'm glad that I chose here over a giant super busy hospital. It'll be a few more days before I get the tube out of my chest so I'm getting to know the RN's and what they ride. Nobody so far has been a serious dirt biker, maybe they've seen too much.

The ER x-ray tech is an old Mountain biking buddy of mine and he gave me some interesting news on how Moab has changed. It used to be the Mtn Biking Capital of the World and they saw mostly mtn bikers, by a really large percentage. Now numbers are about equal between motorcycles and bicycles, but the ATV numbers are growing at an alarming rate. They think ATV's will surpass everybody pretty soon.

The time I spent laying in the desert while waiting for my friend to come back with his pickup, I saw more atv's than everybody else combined. And they don't wear any armor, although most (but not all) had a helmet. The x-ray tech said the most common crash with injury for them is a back-flip, going up the steep rock faces.

I was talking with a guy in the ER waiting room who had a knee swollen up real big, he also punched his shift lever through the side case of his brand new, first ride, CRF450X. I got lucky, no damage to my DRZ. I have to look for the little pieces of good news where ever I can find them right now. I've never had Morphine before, wow does that stuff ever mess up time.

We break, we heal. More slowly now, just like how I ride now. Have fun out there and know there are some great people around who are here if you need them.

Kent

formerly of Moab, now residing in northern Michigan.

Edited by motoinmoab

Yea Moab is an interesting place. I mountain bike out there a lot, but never with a dirtbike...yet. Just bought a new one. I really liked your post though because I live in Denver now by way of Michigan. Great memories of riding up north! Enjoy the trails!

A new hospital sound nice. I hope to visit people only.

Moab was a dirt biking mecca, until we clued in our mt bike friends in the late 70's, and now lots of people are enjoying it. That's great! There's plenty of room.

My group has spent an entire day hauling out a broken-up rider from deep in the trails. The rider wasn't even with our group. It was very satisfying to be able to get him out. Dirt riders and Jeepers are like that.

Dirt riders and Jeepers are like that.

That is one reason I hang with dirt riders and jeepers! One of the best groups of people, period!

Sorry to hear about your tour of the hospital. At least it is nice!

Kent, this is certainly in poor taste, but while you lay in the hospital healing, any chance that you prepaid for a luxury hotel room that is going unused? I need accomodations that meet both my high standards and empty wallet.

Um I remember the old ER, quite well, and I have seen my fair share of hospitals over the last three years, good to hear about the one in Moab but really dont want to visit in any form. Hope you heal up fast.

Hey Kent, Nice to hear from you again. Hope you are healing well. I am the fellow you speak of with the knee injury.

The new Hospital in Moab is quite nice, I was treated very well. The staff is laid back and really nice too. They are busy for sure, as I was being discharged they were calling in more doctors and nurses to keep up with all the people coming in.

It sounds like I made it out a little better off, at least I didn't get any tubes in my chest. Turns out I racked up a torn ACL, cracked tibia and a broken big toe. I have surgery in two weeks to fix the knee and then rehab and wait until I can ride again.

On a side note, The Moab airport is also pretty nice, the staff weren't as friendly, but security was nice and helpful for a fresh cripple trying to fly home.

Hope all is well and anyone that has visited the hospital is healing fast. I'll be back in Moab next spring, the riding is amazing.

-Sean

Interesting post. Hope you guys heal up fast.

So where is the new hospital and what did they do with the old one? Not that I hope to have to go there...always good to know though.

When we first went to Moab for some rock climbing a little over 20 years ago, I was stunned at the number of mtn bikes. We felt sorta out of place without an array of them bristling from our vehicle!!

Dave

Sorry about living in Michigan. Oh, and the chest tube.

You probably have friends in Moab but if not, I have a house a few blocks from the hospital. I'll be back in Moab early next week if you need anything, bike parking, food delivery, etc. Feel free to PM me. HRP

Interesting post. Hope you guys heal up fast.

So where is the new hospital and what did they do with the old one? Not that I hope to have to go there...always good to know though.

When we first went to Moab for some rock climbing a little over 20 years ago, I was stunned at the number of mtn bikes. We felt sorta out of place without an array of them bristling from our vehicle!!

Dave

The new hospital is only about 2 blocks south of the old one. It's on 500W and Williams Way. FYI, the emergency entrance is in the back, on the north side. The old one is for sale if anyone is looking for a pre-owned hospital.