Sign in to follow this  

xr400 stock headlight questions

I got a spare xr400 I'm not sure if I'm selling it or keeping it. I was thinking about plating it and using it mostly for trails. So I wanted to go the cheap route with lighting. I wanted to use the tusk kit. My other xr400 has a baja designs kit with a rewound stator so I've not used the stock headlight before. My question is will the stock headlight with rewound stator throw enough light with a brighter bulb and a glass lense to be decent enought to ride at night?? Nothing real fast just decent enough light to make it home because I somehow always end up coming home in the dark.:confused::thumbsup:

I ride My 400 with the stock headlight at night.I wish it was brighter but it will get you home. Eventually I am going to go the 55W with glass lens route since I already rewound the stator. For now anyway the stock light works.

Darrell

With that low wattage of a bulb I'm guessing it doesn't dim at all with rewound stator even at low rpm's?

I believe the stock bulb is a 35w. A 55w can safely be run with the stock plastic lens. Any higher than that tho and you'll need the glass lens.

The 55w throws a decent amount of light, but a 100w halogen with glass lens is awesome.

I can't find a 55w to replace my 35w anywhere!!!... None of the 55's I've come across have the little rim at the bottom of the bulb like the 35 does, Can someone tell me the part number? Sorry to hi-jack the thread..

SUB-CABLE

32101-KF0-810 (1) $5.33

02 COVER, RUBBER

33115-MG3-003 (1) $13.36

03 HEADLIGHT

33123-MK2-671 (1) $36.55

04 WIRE

33140-MG3-003 (1) $12.78

05 BULB (12V55W) (H3)

34908-SA0-811

These are the Honda part numbers for the glass lens upgrade. Dont by the bulb from Honda you can get them at any auto store at a better price.

I got a spare xr400 I'm not sure if I'm selling it or keeping it. I was thinking about plating it and using it mostly for trails. So I wanted to go the cheap route with lighting. I wanted to use the tusk kit. My other xr400 has a baja designs kit with a rewound stator so I've not used the stock headlight before. My question is will the stock headlight with rewound stator throw enough light with a brighter bulb and a glass lense to be decent enought to ride at night?? Nothing real fast just decent enough light to make it home because I somehow always end up coming home in the dark.:confused::thumbsup:

Here is the easiest way to improve on the original 35 watt headlight. It works with the stock stator too. Its totally a plug and play procedure.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/P-600026/Headlight+Lens+Assy%2c+Oem+Xr+55wt+(glass)

Cheers